GoPro recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rahab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of buying a GoPro for my outdoor adventures but focusing on diving. Going to be in the DR for Thanksgiving. Have not seen too much about using GoPro for diving. Also most posts talk about the video capabilities, but almost nothing appears about stills. Is the GoPro not that good for stills or what? Right now I have a great Pentex however it is not rated for below 40 feet and I want something that's going to go a little deeper

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated...R

• confused.gif
    :confused:

GoPro's strong point is video. It is very capable for UW use. Still photos from the GoPro aren't usually spectacular. They can be decent with good lighting but some folks tend to take screen shots from its video instead. If you want a good camera for UW stills your going to wind up spending a lot more money on a setup (camera and housing) than you would on a GoPro. Maybe they make a housing to allow you camera to go deeper. Other problem you will have regardless of UW photo camera is that at depths greater than 20 or 30 ft, ambient lighting and colors suck. You will need a light or strobe to take photos otherwise you pics will be mostly blue and colorless.

For some of those reasons I stick to video with the GoPro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom