GoPro packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty tell me it is the 23 of October?? We are headed to Aruba 26 Nov and sure would like a go pro for the trip.... Same thing happened to me when I got my Sealife camera. Two weeks after I got it the new Model came out. And the Sealife is a pos compared to what I have seen from a GoPro Hero....

---------- Post Merged at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:32 AM ----------

TNRonin sorry for me not knowing but who is REI??
REI has a member sale right now iirc. 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't quote me on the date as it's not official just going by some expected delivery dates that some resellers have mentioned.

Last years official release was on the 23rd of October and Ive heard from a few people to expect stock from 23-25th but this could make the release the next weekend or later still. That date is a pure guess of mine :D and even if announced its hard to know how much or where the available stock will be.

---------- Post Merged on October 17th, 2012 at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 16th, 2012 at 04:22 PM ----------

Here is the likely first known pic of the Hero3 Black which is the top end "Pro" model.

This was found by someone on the GoPro facebook site, they didn't notice the camera was visible in the corner of the image :D

Hero3.jpg

Supposedly comes with a flat lens as standard, by the look of this very similar to the current dive port but relative to the height of the camera it looks smaller then the current dive housing from what I can tell. Latch has been redesigned by the look of it too so hopefully no more need for rubber bands lol.

Lets hope the black edition comes with some manual controls and manual WB would be the biggest feature for us underwater users.

Ive heard all sorts of crazy rumored specs but will need to wait and see how accurate these actually are and how the image quality will end up but supposed 2x faster processing and 2x better low light will be a boost underwater many of the higher speeds arent of much benefit underwater.

Marty isn't far off on the features he 's noticed and some of the upgrades mentioned. All I'm gonna say is these things are sweet and there are some design features we as divers will definitely approve of. Rumor has it they may finally release their own filters for it as well. As far as date of release, I heard slightly sooner than the 23rd but nothing is a definite until it's been done. And I thought I was anxious waiting for the release of the new SRP filters :eyebrow:

i wonder since it's a longer battery life... will the batteries be backwards compatible with the pro2?

i wonder since it's a longer battery life... will the batteries be backwards compatible with the pro2?

The battery life is actually quite a bit lower then the previous models, this is what Abe Kislevitz said about hero3 black battery life. He is the head editor for GoPro and the guy that put together the latest promo plus just about all the other official GoPro videos.

The HERO3 Black should get around 1hr20min of record time - it's definitely shorter than HERO2. It uses a smaller battery at higher power consumption; however, they've implemented new sleep power management so after one minute in standby it goes into 'low power' mode (may be slightly longer duration if in photo mode). The wakeup takes about 1/3 of a second (just click shutter button and you'll see a slight lag for the video to start recording). I think the camera can last maybe 5-6-7 hours in low power mode..haven't tested though. I used mine as I would normally use it this weekend and had much improved battery longevity throughout the day simply because it was sleeping all the time. It turned on in my pocket for about 2 hours and was still at full battery when i found it on

I then asked him if the WiFi being turned on had much effect and about life with the LCD screen on.

From what I understand, the wifi doesn't affect it as much as you'd expect. It's maybe a 10% hit on battery life but right now I usually keep it off all the time. Don't know about the LCD bacpac

So beware the higher recording modes do use more battery and it is slightly smaller then the battery in the hero2 and hero1 cameras. I do like to use the LCD screen underwater so I hope the battery life isnt too bad but my guess is around 45mins only with the LCD going by the percentage dropped using the hero2 cams with the LCD which is a little bit too low. No chance of using a battery bacpac and screen together so I will just need to get spare batteries and change them in between dives. The new low power mode is a good addition as the old hero 1 and 2 cams do use almost as much in standby as they do when recording. I would actually have preferred the size stayed the same as the old unit with a much larger battery so this is probably the one thing I like least in the new version. Double the power will need to use more juice so its not exactly a surprise but I hoped for a bit more recording time then that.

They are available for purchase as of the 23rd I think it was at best buy so my date was pretty close :D but looks like they are exclusive the first few weeks as even the GoPro site arent sending until early November with many resellers I think getting them around the 12th-14th of November and for the Aussies like me there is still no official date set for the hero3 black but should be between the 12th of November and start of December.

So...I'm not familiar with the camera you're replacing, but wonder...what don't you like about the results?

If it's just a technology issue, or you just have your heart set on a GoPro, go for it, I've got two & they're good cameras.

But if the issue is photo composition, lighting, etc. you might take the opportunity to discuss that here and save a few bucks.

Just a thought...

Oh, and definitely buy extra batteries. & an LCD back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom