GoPro Mounts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAFirefighter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sure it's been asked before and did see a few threads on it in the search: Long story short, I'm a photography on dry land and use a Nikon D2x, random glass, lighting, etc. I don't really want to spend $2000-$6000 on an underwater case for my Nikon, especially since video is not an option on this body. I have on free loan a SeaLife setup which includes the strobes, camera, case, mount, etc. It is great! However, it's only a 6.1 megapixel camera and the tech geek in me is cringing...
IMAG1987.jpg

I'm on my 3rd GoPro (Original non-HD, Hero1 HD, Hero2 HD now -BadAssXJ - YouTube). I love it. I'd love to bring it with me when I head to Bonaire this summer. I plan to purchase the Dive case from GoPro ($49.99) + a red filter I found on another site ($14.95). Aside from that, I'd like a mount for it. I was looking at mount "kit" and most seem in the $500-ish dollar range if a light is included.

Anyone have any recommendations on kits I can purchase that aren't going to break the bank? I'm thinking if I can't find anything in a decent range that I will use a piece of aluminum with a mount on the one side for the camera, and a mount on the other side for the handle & possibly a light. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks much! Have you a preference between 1 and 2 grip mounts? Since I'm a new diver I'm planning more to focus on diving technique and my surrounds than taking photos, but the photog in me won't let me do that alone!

I'm sure it's been asked before and did see a few threads on it in the search: Long story short, I'm a photography on dry land and use a Nikon D2x, random glass, lighting, etc. I don't really want to spend $2000-$6000 on an underwater case for my Nikon, especially since video is not an option on this body. I have on free loan a SeaLife setup which includes the strobes, camera, case, mount, etc. It is great! However, it's only a 6.1 megapixel camera and the tech geek in me is cringing...
IMAG1987.jpg

I'm on my 3rd GoPro (Original non-HD, Hero1 HD, Hero2 HD now -BadAssXJ - YouTube). I love it. I'd love to bring it with me when I head to Bonaire this summer. I plan to purchase the Dive case from GoPro ($49.99) + a red filter I found on another site ($14.95). Aside from that, I'd like a mount for it. I was looking at mount "kit" and most seem in the $500-ish dollar range if a light is included.

Anyone have any recommendations on kits I can purchase that aren't going to break the bank? I'm thinking if I can't find anything in a decent range that I will use a piece of aluminum with a mount on the one side for the camera, and a mount on the other side for the handle & possibly a light. Any help is much appreciated.

M2HTCT-2.jpg

MAKO offers a two handle and a one handle mount option. They are modular, so you can add lights and various components as needed. We have a full selection of camera packages, mounts and we even offer a FREE AR -15 handle (or other products) with each camera purchase...

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

I went with the 2 handled option because I thought I could keep it more steady. Mine is pretty heavy from the weighted handles and I could keep it pretty steady with one hand. I have no experience with the camera and a single hand mount.

I think more important than handles is just simply the use of the camera. Stay at least a couple feet away from target. Dont try to pan closer than 20', it will be blurry and you won't be able to see anything anyway. I'm gonna try next week to get some good smooth shots after watching my 200 spinny clips from Bonaire! I will also try the 60fps option to see if that reduces the movement blurryness a little.

... + a red filter I found on another site ($14.95)...
Skip the $15 filter and save yourself the disappointment. If you can't wait for the Backscatter one designed to fit the new GoPro flat lens housing which should be out shortly, go with the $40 Oculus filter from Ebay (just note the shipping time). Unless the filter fits tight against the glass it has to extend beyond the edge of faceplate about 3/8" or you will have white corners. None of the $15 filters are designed to do that.

Skip the $15 filter and save yourself the disappointment. If you can't wait for the Backscatter one designed to fit the new GoPro flat lens housing which should be out shortly, go with the $40 Oculus filter from Ebay (just note the shipping time). Unless the filter fits tight against the glass it has to extend beyond the edge of faceplate about 3/8" or you will have white corners. None of the $15 filters are designed to do that.

I did this and can video in 1080 Medium. 1080 Wide and photos did show the corners as flareside stated. But it worked great otherwise.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6368324

Thank you for the links everyone. So this filter will leave white edges?
Gopro-Dive-Housing-Red-Filter-GoPro1-e1340643772234.jpg

GoPro Dive Red Filter | GoPro Accessories, GoPro Filters and Lenses, GoPro Microphone

I really like the MAKO setup and may go that route. I do like how torches are included, but the lumens output is a bit low in my personal opinion (I'm pretty big into lighting, retrofits, etc.). I'll most likely end up with a Streamlight torch or two if I go the MAKO route.

Actually, that one should not leave white edges but I hope you realize that you have to take off the lens to install it.

Per their website:
You will need to use a T6 Star screwdriver to unscrew the 10 screws on the front of the lens. Lift up Black Bezel. Lift up glass lens. Insert filter inside rectangular seal. Place Glass lens back on. Place black bezel back on. Tighten 10 screws. Re tighten to ensure proper seal.

That makes the installation essentially permanent so you can't use the housing for boat shots or deep water lighted shots. It also violates the original seal which potentially puts your camera at risk as the GoPro flat lens housing does not have the backup seal like the blurfix system does.

I don't believe the end result is worth the hassle or the risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom