GoPro insights, hints, thoughts for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i actually have two option that i am thinking about...

1) attach it to the hotshoe of my camera casing.. so what ever the camera see .. the gopro see too. camera in picture mode. gopro in video mode.

2) i got a monopod that can extend from 22cm to about a metre.. that can be use too. to get close up. or in holes.

both has its limitation... if i want to bring both camera and gopro...

if i just the gopro.. i think the monopod will be my option number one. as i can take POV or self.

i actually have two option that i am thinking about...

1) attach it to the hotshoe of my camera casing.. so what ever the camera see .. the gopro see too. camera in picture mode. gopro in video mode.

Thanks, I think I will try that..
By the way, I am a new user and I'm looking at Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate 15 to edit, any thoughts?

Agreed. Next trip out, GoPro will be attached to one of these: $11.09 - Stainless Steel Handheld Monopod for Digital Camera - Photo & Camera (with a leash of course) Not sure how it will handle salt water but as cheap as they are, I'm not really too worried.

can try these too.. aluminum ones
priceangel is similar kinna service as DX

Carrying Extendable Hand Held Monopod for Camera (Black) $11.79 Free Shipping
Hand Held Retractable Monopod for Digital Camera(Red) $8.64 Free Shipping

Hellhole: Thanks for the heads up on sources. It turns out Priceangle also has the one I already purchased for considerably less. (arrgh!) Regarding the ones you selected, my first extender had a knuckle at the top similar to the one those have and it didn't take long before it would no longer hold position as it can't be tightened. Something you might look into.

BrianOrange: My apologies for helping the thread go astray to the extent that it has.

On the number of clips comment... I just tried it with mine (bunch of short clips) and got bored at around 31 "shots" (in 1080p r5 Video mode).

Make sure you have the latest firmware on your cameras. Even my brand-new HD Hero's came with the 1st generation firmware. Note that at some point GoPro re-numbered the firmware - so v2.x.x is the OLDEST (on the HD's at least). The current firmware (currently v01.01.54) is available at GoPro's support site. and is pretty easy to install (download the PDF, READ it, and think thru it a couple of times since there's some time-sensitive moves in the procedure. If you're unsure, enlist the help of a local pre-teen).

FYI on memory cards: You don't need the ultra-fast versions for this. GoPro recommends only a Class 4 card. Right now the 16GB Class 4 cards seem to be the sweet spot. 32GB cards are right at double the price, but if you lose/break/corrupt one, you're out twice the storage. I just picked up a handful of Lexar 16GB Class 4 cards from B&H and they work great, and were only like $21 ea.

Other hints: The thumbscrew and acorn nuts are not available for purchase separately, so treat them as such! Cheapest way to buy them seem to be to get the Grab Bag of Mounts pack, though I hear if you ask nicely GoPro may send them to you separately...

Charging: USB is USB (mostly) so don't feel like you're constrained to the supplied USB cable and a laptop. I'm using a USB charger from an old blackberry and it works great. I've also successfully used the USB cable and power cube from my iPad.

Now if I could just find some time to get in the water with this thing and play :)

Other hints: The thumbscrew and acorn nuts are not available for purchase separately, so treat them as such! Cheapest way to buy them seem to be to get the Grab Bag of Mounts pack, though I hear if you ask nicely GoPro may send them to you separately...

The acorn nuts are available at Home Depot in case you should lose one. They are manufactured by Crown Bolt out of Aliso Viejo, CA. The package contains 2 nuts and is labeled:

CAP NUT
5mm - 8
Stainless Steel
BC-F / 7-F / 508
Stock number is: 30699 71558
$0.55 for a package of 2.

Source: GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - Source for Screw Cap Nuts

Awesome! Now I need to pick some of those up and glue them into the various mounts. Thanks!

Hellhole: Thanks for the heads up on sources. It turns out Priceangle also has the one I already purchased for considerably less. (arrgh!) Regarding the ones you selected, my first extender had a knuckle at the top similar to the one those have and it didn't take long before it would no longer hold position as it can't be tightened. Something you might look into.

BrianOrange: My apologies for helping the thread go astray to the extent that it has.

yeah... i notice that too when i got it.... but i got 2! :D i actually will use the hot shoe method mostly.. and put that monopod in my pocket when i dive. i figured that it will be nice to put it at some situation where access is diffciult.. now i am thinking how to mount a light on the gopro ( but that might wear out the monopod's knuckle )

let see how it goes!

fyi.. i also got some of the 10" gorillapod sold on the site.... another idea that i did thought off...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom