GoPro - How to get a Sharper Image? Considering Backscatter GoPro Action Cam Sharp Wide Lens Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott 2000

Registered
Reaction score
Last year, I was in Socorro and took a video a Hammerhead Shark swimming by (see below for a snapshot).

Through my mask, I was able to see the individual teeth of the animal with my naked eye. However, when I reviewed the video, it wasn't sharp enough to see the individual teeth.

What can I do with my GoPro to get a sharper video image so I can get better video in the future? Is it a limitation of the camera? Are there settings I can change? I took this at 4K, 30 fps. I had one video light, a Sola Dive 2500 S/F

I'm considering buying the "Backscatter GoPro Action Cam Sharp Wide Lens Pro" (which I think is just the AOI UWL-03-BLK in different packaging?). Theoretically, this makes the image sharper, but also has a wider field of view. Would this allow the edges to be sharper? If I zoomed in post-production, would the image be sharper than if I had taken the video without the Backscatter Sharp Wide Lens? Would I be more likely to see the individual teeth?

Thanks for the input!

1720915717513.png

I have that backscatter lens on my GoPro with the AOI bayonet and handle- the backscatter bayonet has a place to insert color filters: but doesn’t have the super nice grip that you can get with the AOI. The big lens gets a lot of light in compared with that little GoPro lens. And everything is super clear. It works best with the camera set just below the widest angle. Then you get maximum image stabilization and horizon lock with a field that is a bit wider than the widest camera field. I have a safety stop video of a turtle getting thrown around on top of the reef during a storm in the Dominican Republic that looks like it was taken from a tripod; and I was getting moved as much as the turtle.

You’ll definitely end up with clearer, brighter more stable videos. And being able to use horizon lock while you’re still getting a really wide angle is super cool. It’s freaky how it keeps the image aligned the same while you’re twisting the camera completely upside down.

The one other cool feature of the lens is a much shorter close up focus range. It’s not macro. But you can get 1-2 inches away and still get some really wide angle, focused images. It’s fun for
catching details on some of the absurdly big nudibranchs we have around Monterey

I am super happy with my GoPro setup. It’s the best video rig I’ve owned. My wife got the same GoPro and backscatter lens; although, hers is mounted as a second tier above her macro camera and lights- she got really annoyed at missing big animals swimming by while she switched her camera out of macro and into video mode 😁

Use Topaz Video AI on your images. Some of the sharpness loss is due to the GoPro, some probably due to subject movement (30 fps doesn't capture motion). At that distance, your video ;ight does nothing.

I have that backscatter lens on my GoPro with the AOI bayonet and handle- the backscatter bayonet has a place to insert color filters: but doesn’t have the super nice grip that you can get with the AOI. The big lens gets a lot of light in compared with that little GoPro lens. And everything is super clear. It works best with the camera set just below the widest angle. Then you get maximum image stabilization and horizon lock with a field that is a bit wider than the widest camera field. I have a safety stop video of a turtle getting thrown around on top of the reef during a storm in the Dominican Republic that looks like it was taken from a tripod; and I was getting moved as much as the turtle.

You’ll definitely end up with clearer, brighter more stable videos. And being able to use horizon lock while you’re still getting a really wide angle is super cool. It’s freaky how it keeps the image aligned the same while you’re twisting the camera completely upside down.

The one other cool feature of the lens is a much shorter close up focus range. It’s not macro. But you can get 1-2 inches away and still get some really wide angle, focused images. It’s fun for
catching details on some of the absurdly big nudibranchs we have around Monterey

I am super happy with my GoPro setup. It’s the best video rig I’ve owned. My wife got the same GoPro and backscatter lens; although, hers is mounted as a second tier above her macro camera and lights- she got really annoyed at missing big animals swimming by while she switched her camera out of macro and into video mode 😁
@landphil

Thank you! I ended up buying it and am excited to take it on my upcoming Liveaboard.

Any tips or tricks? Do you swap out filters at different depths or just choose one based on the depth of the upcoming dive? Do you pull out the filter if you get close to the subject and have a video light? Are there any specific shot scenarios or reasons you would remove the lens during the dive?

@landphil

Thank you! I ended up buying it and am excited to take it on my upcoming Liveaboard.

Any tips or tricks? Do you swap out filters at different depths or just choose one based on the depth of the upcoming dive? Do you pull out the filter if you get close to the subject and have a video light? Are there any specific shot scenarios or reasons you would remove the lens during the dive?

I don’t have the mount that has a slot for filters, but my wife does. The filters are probably pretty easy to change between shallow and deep if you’re not wearing 5mm gloves. And they have a little loop that you could use to tether them so you don’t lose them. Both are blue water filters and our home diving is all green water; so we leave them out and end up just post-processing everything to color correct.

Unless you also have a macro lens for your bayonet mount (AOI makes one), you’ll never find a scenario where the image is better without that wide angle lens. It lets you get much closer to little things while keeping them in focus and gets great wide angle shots without much distortion around the edges. If you also follow the Backscatter GoPro setup instructions you’ll probably never need a light for daytime tropical diving. I dive where it’s pretty dark and the videos I take are noticeably brighter than the actual conditions. I do have an adjustable angle dive light that I’ll sometimes set all the way wide to help illuminate in cracks or overhangs to take videos. And it sort of works. But it would all look really pink with both the light and a filter. My daughter’s Sealife lights even look kind of pink without a filter (but look fine on her Sealife)

After you’ve gone through the Backscatter video and setup sheets, just make sure you set up the camera one step narrower than the widest angle setting and turn on max image stabilization and horizon lock. Your videos will look like you were calm and relaxed, even when you were actually flailing around trying to catch something super exciting swimming by.

The only other thing is that you’ll probably want to have a handle for your GoPro (or a tray with handles if you’re not a minimalist). The lens makes it a little weird to hold the camera directly in your hand,

Here's a quick and dirty comparaison I did with two GP7, 4K 60fps, one with the AOI UWL-03 and one without.
I was also trying out Magic filters vs. UR Pro Cyan filter in ambient tropical light for grading in post, so it's a bit of a dual test - handheld, freediving, nothing fancy, but you can cleary see the differences

more info + test parameters here:
INON and AOI Wide Angle Wet Lenses for Gopro's

actual side-by-side video test (identical settings, GoPro with AOI UWL-03 on the left, none on the right)

hope this helps
cheers
ben

Reading the thread with interest. I understand that these lenses can sharpen up images, but don't understand how they can allow more light to the sensor as the light still has to pass through the factory GoPro housing and lens. Genuinely interested as thinking about purchasing.

Back
Top Bottom