GoPro Housing lens cover/protection from being thrown in camera tank on dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for that same reason are a hazard when penetrating dirty wrecks.
You don't have to penetrate for them to become problematic. I was co-teaching a Master Diver class with a rather renowned instructor on the SG in the Keys. He was doing a nice frog kick on the stern and the suicide clip on his SMB snagged some mono. The frog kick got stronger, turned into a flutter, then a strong flutter and was still increasing in intensity when I hit the offending line with my z-knife. Whoosh he went and reverted to the frog kick. On the boat he complained about the sudden "strong currents" he encountered. He never believed me and one of our students even captured his moment of freedom on video. I had one last suicide clip in my kit (lobster snare) and it got lost after that. Butterfly snaps are much easier to use than bolt snaps for us arthritis sufferers and yet they present no propensity to seek out mono. I'm sure you can "see" your way to affording some. :D

I’m late to the party here, but if you have your gopro in a waterproof case and have a red lens cover over the lens etc. if by chance the lens covers do get scratched, it is not noticeable while diving and not usually noticeable during playback and editing unless it’s a huge scratch. Your camera lens itself is protected from the super suit or case. I personally use a GoRad pole while diving with LED Lights attached and hand to the guy prior to entering the boat from the water my setup and get it right back as soon as I’m on the boat. It only sees the rinse tank at the end of the dive and I’m doing the rinsing, so if it gets scratched it’s my fault.

Glenn

I badly need one too .. some of the best footage I've ever taken comes with ugly scars visible from the scratches on the red filter. I use an SRP CYD or dome filter and I've had to purchase three or four in the last 5 years - easily almost the full cost of a gopro. Sometimes the CYD has been scratched on its very first dive upon surfacing in rough waters because it repeatedly banged against the pole hanging from a lanyard after I unclipped it, while I took some surface videos waiting for the pickup boat.

I am wondering if a Slip-On Lens Cap meant for flat lenses can be force fitted on the slight dome of the CYD filter. This weekend its my shopping trip...

P

Ok folks, what about something like this below--Angel Fish mentioned this and started me thinking. Could I dedicate a filter like this as a protective cover for housing port? From what I can tell, the ports are different sizes so I would have to make sure I got the right one but I could pop this on before handing it up on the boat or clipping to BC. I don't use filters at all typically so Im not familiar how they fit on....are they tight enough or would they slip off easily?

upload_2019-6-14_7-54-17.png

Go with the Flip Filters by www.Backscatter.com They are quite resistant to scratches and not likely to float away.

Ok folks, what about something like this below--Angel Fish mentioned this and started me thinking. Could I dedicate a filter like this as a protective cover for housing port? From what I can tell, the ports are different sizes so I would have to make sure I got the right one but I could pop this on before handing it up on the boat or clipping to BC. I don't use filters at all typically so Im not familiar how they fit on....are they tight enough or would they slip off easily?

View attachment 524137
I use these and they are awesome. They click into place, not slide on. There is as a backup a string but I’ve never had to use it.

I never trust any of my equipment to the "guy on the boat". My last trip I had no choice but to take off my backpack/harness and hand it up to the "guy on the boat". He immediately dumped it on the deck and then knocked a tank right on top of my gear. Result was a leak in the bladder. I wil never again let anyone under any circumstances touch any of my equipment. This was not the first but it will be the last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom