Gopro housing flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joecwazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any experience with this and what to do? I've managed to flood a Gopro(HD Hero) on 3 seperate occasions...including one where the camera simply sat in 1 ft of water in an aquarium for maybe 20 minutes or so. The camera has survived each time due to me catching the problem in time(I must say these things really are nakie outside the waterproof housing-I was really worried about the SD card). The first time was a on a freediving/spearing trip east of Avalon by the landfill/quarry. I had to swim the camera to "shore" and leave it under some golfcart that had been pushed off the cliff years ago, then climb down to get it after we were finished. I've soaked the housing run water through it in hopes of getting any sand grains out of the hinge. Anyone know of any way to determine where the leak is so I can determine if I just need to clean the O-ring better, if it is one of the o rings for the power/shoot button, or the seal for the lens mod? It has an SRP lens mod attached and this has not flooded at all.

you need to check the white seal look for hairs or particles. Just clean it well
if it still leaks ditch it
have had many older housings and one new gen3 housing none have ever leaked

Why is the rum always gone

If it's not old and you bought it from a legit reseller, check with gopro for a replacement. I had a similar problem and called them up and they promptly replaced my dive housing. In my case there was a small crack near where the lens screws attach the lens to the front of the case. Mine survived the wetness as well with the exception of the battery. Replaced that and it's in good working order.

If you're using the anti-fog inserts make sure they are in there loosely and not wedged into a spot in the housing they're really not supposed to be in. That can cause the white gasket to not seal properly since it flexes the casing slightly.

divehousing.jpg

Wow that sucks man! Money is money and I don't mean to sound frivolous in that manner but if I were you (and this had happened to me THREE times), I would just buy a new dive housing...they're like what, $40? It might be the easiest option with least probability that it will happen again, I've never had a problem with my GoPro flooding.
Dive Housing for GoPro Cameras

There is no point guessing he needs to test the housing on its own after preparing it properly to see if the housing is waterproof or not.
If the housing on its own is water tight there may be something to do with the preparation o'ring or insert catching in the seal but you can't just guess upfront

I was hoping there would be some way to figure out where the leak is. The housing is about 1.5 years old and has seen the water many times. A few times I got it covered in sand but I rinsed the camera off afterward and had no further issues. I will probably buy a new housing. I guess I'd really like this one to still work as it has a SRP Blurfix attached which I think is a superior design to Gopros own lens mod.

You are not completely sure if the issue is a crack the oring or a user error in preparing the camera
First inspect the oring to see if there are any clear dents or cracks. If there are replace it if there are no issues prepare the housing properly without the camera and put tissue paper in leave it in the sink Overnight
Next day dry the housing properly and then open it to see if the paper is wet. If it is replace the housing
It does not help to know where the cracks are as you can't repair it so if it leaks with a good oring you have to replace it

...I'd really like this one to still work as it has a SRP Blurfix attached...
Remove and replace the blurfix mod with new sealant, cleaning both surfaces thoroughly prior to application. I have a feeling you may find the leak here. If that doesn't solve it, you can always mount it on a new housing.

Back
Top Bottom