gopro hero session for diving video?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PTscubapirate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
just bought a new suptig handle setup for my gopro hero 4 black along with a suptig light and it's actually a smaller setup than i thought it would be...and the light has an attachment spot at the top for more lights, another camera, etc. so this got me thinking....if i just use my hero 4 for the photography i could easily put a hero sessions camera on top of the light without making it too bulky of a setup and then record video when i want and not have to switch back and forth on my hero 4 and eat up battery life or memory card space.

but how do the hero sessions cameras hold up for dive videos??? i like that they shoot in 1080px60fps and i've seen plenty of kyak and snowboard videos with them...but is it a good dive camera? It would be really nice to video and take stills with one rig and not have to pull stills from video or switch back and forth, and like i said, it's a smaller setup already than i thought it would be so i don't mind stacking a sessions camera on the light.

anyone use a sessions on dives? i know they need a housing unit for >10m too....those are like $15 though so i'm not worried.

I used a naked session 5 on the shallow last dive at the GBR a couple of months ago just to try, works well. But I am not a photographer (in fact I don't bring a camera so I can just experience whatever there is, even more in fact, I dislike most UW photographers I have to share the same ocean with).

Yes you will need a housing, even for >5m because the buttons will be depressed fairly quickly resulting in random functions being triggered.

HOWEVER, I think you should somewhat worry about those aftermarket housings because I keep reading in the reviews that the pressure at rec depths caves the back door in pushing the mode button. So whilst it keeps the water out, they still may be useless for diving because the plastic is too thin for scuba depths.

If anyone here has a session housing that they tested to be working whilst diving to around 40 metres then I'd be interested to purchase and just clip it off to a D ring when going on dives with mates to record some foolish behaviour or so.

A friend of mine found a Session without a housing at 40 meters, brought it home, cleaned it up (had all sorts of criters growing on it) and pluged it in the computer to see if it works.
It does. flawlessly.
I also know a couple of divers who use it to 30m without worrying.

I’ve used a naked session for shallow diving and it records well. Have also used it in an underwater housing and it works well as well. About the only drawback I have found is that there are not a lot of filter kits for the session. The ones I have found work with the naked session but do not fit any underwater housing for it. Best solution I have found for this so far is to get plane filters and put them inside the underwater housing, not the best option but physically works, have not tried it underwater though.

A naked session to 30m?

When I took my naked session down to around 12m max, I started it on video mode and at some depth the buttons got depressed and it started going into burst photo mode, taking thousands of photos throughout the remainder of the dive instead of the video I started with.

Even if I had bad luck on that one dive, this makes it unreliable. I could not change the settings at all despite wasting half of my dive on it.

Back
Top Bottom