GoPro Hero 6 tray recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aviyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So many trays to choose from. Any recommendations for a decent starting tray for GoPro 6? Probably going to look at Big Blue lights.

In my opinion, a tray is a tray is a tray. It's a flat piece of aluminum with handles. I'm using a $35 generic tray off Amazon and I like it better than the $100 tray it replaced. It has slots in the flatbar that allows me more mounting options than a solid bar with a few drill holes. It's the lights where you'll see the biggest practical differences, both in performance and price point.

Depends on your price point. I went with Flex-Arm Underwater Systems. They have a huge selection of complete packages to choose from. The only problem is they are located in Italy, so shipping is costly and you have to be patient for delivery. These guys are at the mid point on price. You can find some really inexpensive and functional stuff on eBay. Beneath the Surface and Snake River Prototyping are a little more pricey, but they make some nice stuff. If you have already determined your lights you will need to configure a system around them. Good luck.

http://www.flex-arm.com/en/underwater-trays/action-camera-tray?page=2

Backscatter has a nice tray.
Don't forget locline arms with adapters/mounts for the light's you're gonna use.

I use the Big Blue one.

I just inherited Eric’s gopro 4 but the tray works for a 6 as well. My first chance to use it will be later this month but so far very pleased with the style and quality of construction. I picked the universal mount flex arms because I went cheap on the lights (DGE video light) but they make many different arm mountings including Big Blue.

Attachments

• 85E5841F-89A8-41B3-802B-081FA35FDA3A.jpeg
    85E5841F-89A8-41B3-802B-081FA35FDA3A.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 242
I liked the idea of the "boomerang" or "chevron" shape being more stable when set down, so I went with the Snake River Prototyping tray. They may have been first with that design a few years ago, but I believe there are others to choose from now.

Bought a GoPro 4 a couple of years ago, found it fairly useless for macro without lights, and have just bought lights and am finally getting around to actually using it.

Bought a GoPro 4 a couple of years ago, found it fairly useless for macro without lights, and have just bought lights and am finally getting around to actually using it.
What settings do you plan to us for macro? Are you trying for video or stills? I hope to try some Macro during our upcoming trip but it is Cozumel and well you know what the current can do there. Focus will be a killer. I am thinking 4k video then grabbing stills from that. Or use burst to get multiple shots and hope one is in focus.

I started a thread but haven’t gotten any input thus far. If you have any insights and to not hyjack this thread prehaps you can post there...

Gopro Hero 4 for macro and stills

I tried using a macro lens for the first time on my last trip and it is quite humbling. Half my videos are being scrapped right off the bat. You have to be close, really close. I have some video that would be a really great clip except it's fuzzy. Frustrating. I'm using the Backscatter macromate and it is great inside 8 inches. There seems to be a range 12-18 inches where it is too close for the stock lens and too far for the macro.

Another thing is when you're that close it is really hard to be steady. Look at something with your phone camera and try to hold it steady. Now zoom all the way in and try to hold it steady. Small motions are amplified. You almost need a tripod or brace.

Take it off Wide field of view. The macro lens is considerably bulkier. In wide, I can see the lens edges and those videos will need cropping.

Back
Top Bottom