GoPro Hero 3 Black vs Canon t2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theu1991

Registered
Reaction score
i was offered a trade involving my gopro hero 3 black and a friend's canon t2i

i won't be able to get in the water until at least the summer time, and i've been wanting a dslr

would it make sense for me to make this trade, then purchase a meikon underwater case for the canon on ebay? i wouldn't have the money to spend on a casing in the ikelite price range

... or do you think it's just better to wait until black friday and try to find a camera comparable to the t2i for cheap?

thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions

You just need to think through where you are going with this. The cost of getting a DSLR for underwater use is merely a drop in the bucket of the overall system. Add to that a housing, a wide angle lens for underwater use, a strobe w/ tray and arms, etc., etc.

Before you know it, you'll be a small fortune into the setup. And then you get to lug all that around. I'm not trying to talk you out of it as there are some amazing underwater photos out there that could have only come from a DSLR, just be sure and think this all the way through.

And as far as giving up your GoPro, hang onto it and wait for black friday. There are times when only a GoPro will do what you need.

thanks for your take...

my reason behind trading the gopro is because i don't have enough money right now to keep both a gopro and dslr. if i were to buy a dslr on black friday, i would be selling my gopro to get it.

and i know that runs right in line with what you said about the cost of running a dslr setup, but i will have a little while to save up for a (reliable) unbranded housing setup that runs $400 on ebay. i wouldn't have strobes or a tray, though. i'm usually freediving so i might not need that entire setup.

i guess my reason behind wanting to get a dslr is because i wanted to take some higher-quality photos (and videos, although i'm more interested in photos right now).

i'm just not sure if the trade for my gopro for the t2i is worth it, or if i should wait for black friday and try to sell the gopro and buy a different camera on sale.

Any reason for not buying the Olympus Pm-1 deal for $500,- ? Mirrorless systemcamera with housing? Far better quality than Gopro( I have both..), and cheaper than a DSLR...

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom