GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition: Diving in Jupiter, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes James with the hero 2 it does get a bit grainier as all in camera noise reduction is also turned off, this is the same with the 3 black but it does much better in lower light overall so its not as noticeable. I noticed a bit more grain shooting 1080p60 vs 30p modes in the black but still not as much as what the hero 2 does in any modes with lower light levels.

A great plugin to use for post noise reduction is neat video and this will even make what looks pretty noisy on the 2 look better then the regular MP4 file without pro tune. The benefit of pt disabling sharpening and noise reduction is that sharpening can't be undone but is very easy to add in post. Noise reduction will lose some detail so by not having it in the original file you will have more detail on shots where no noise reduction is needed. If you do need to reduce the noise having complete control over it in post let's you decide how much is needed so you should be able to find a good balance between the 2.

Overall the 3 black has not much noise in good to average light and it only starts to show up in pretty poor light levels. The hero 2 does show it in pro tune in even pretty good light so its something you will need to add to the workflow if using the hero underwater with pro tune. With the 3 you can get away without noise reduction in most cases and even when I have used it its only a fairly subtle change.

Thanks! My 3 is in, I just have to pick it up. I will look in to Neat Video. I will try to play around with things and see how it works. Man, I really have a lot to learn, but I am having fun doing it.

a video of my re-edited clips should be done by tonight! wish me luck!

---------- Post added December 14th, 2012 at 10:10 AM ----------

[video=youtube;Ugps5lpZQfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugps5lpZQfQ[/video]

Here is my re-edited video. I think the clips look a lot better.

Hoping the weather will hold up this weekend, been cancelled the past two weekends due to the conditions.

That's pretty much how our entire winter went, weather is a %$&@# We did get some great days since but the last couple were nice but water conditions still crappy. Where I am we need all the stars to align to give us great conditions for video but more often then not its average to poor here.

I will be diving in the Phillipines and further north in OZ over Jan Feb so hope to get some nice dive condtions on those trips.

Hoping the weather will hold up this weekend, been cancelled the past two weekends due to the conditions.

Tell me about it, went to Florida for Thanksgiving weekend and couldn't dive - specially after a dive boat capsized on the inlet. :(

I work Monday through Friday so I can only dive on the weekends, lately it has been flat calm with 60-80 feet of viz during the week. And it's been 6 to 8 feet with like 20-30 feet of viz on the weekends.. just my luck. A cold front is coming through this weekend, looks like diving may get cancelled again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom