Gopro Hero 1 w/ Gopro Dive flat lens housing and Oculus red filter - Pics all red

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stbg1951

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Video & pics are all red. Not corrected as I saw other had. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong??? Can't find any adjustments I can make. HELP. Still on Maui for a week. Hope to get some results that aren't embarrassing. Hate to go back to lugging my Nikon/Ikilite/strobe suitcase and pay the airlines their blood money to check it.

Thanks for any help!!!! Really frustrated. :(

How deep were you, was it sunny or cloudy, were you using any additional lighting, and how do the pics without the filter look? Posting a couple photos would also be helpful.

From my testing with the oculus filter its quite a dark filter so in very shallow depths under 5m most video will be very red and even 5 to 10m may still have a bit of a red tint. I havent tried many of the filters with hero 1 cams though only hero 2 for that filter so not sure how it generally goes with that at most depths. If your only at shallow depths under 5m your probably best off to avoid using that filter.

Bottom depth ranged 40- 60 ft which is where I did all my pics & video. Visibility at depth was 100+ feet. It was sunny. No additional lighting. Will on my next trip if I have to bbut didn't bring it with me this time.
Fisrt pics no filter on a shore dive, 30-40 feet didn't think I bneeded filter. Next couple are the deeper with filter. Next dive I'll try with & without. Either way a lot of work in the digital lab. Just hoping for much less.
Thanks for any insight you guys have. I was trying to do what I read was right. GOPR0619.jpgGOPR0481.jpgGOPR0498.jpgGOPR0502.jpgGOPR0566.jpg

I just tried a friends Oculus red filter on my GoPro hero2 dive housing during a recent trip to Cozumel.. I'd have to say that the results were fantastic... Not much talk on here about the Oculus filter.. (of course, it's held on with a bungee) but the results were simply fantastic.. I will put up some video as soon as I have it edited.. (Even the stills I took with the filter looked great).. Not sure what is going on in your photos above????

So it looks like it should be "plug&play"... Going to try & find a different filter on the island and see what happens.. Again, anyone have any ideas they would be welcome....

Go to Maui Dreams in Kihei. I know they have a variety of GoPro supplies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom