GoPro battery time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The battery life issue is a pain. I usually leave my camera turned on (Hero 3+) for the entire dive....but only filming occasionally. Similar to others' experience, I usually get about 1.5 dives in on one battery (All of my batteries are GoPro brand).

Locally here in New England, I always change batteries between dives. I need to look at some of the suggestions above to extend battery life.

When travelling I bring up to 4 batteries depending on the dive logistics of the trip. On liveaboards you can usually get away with just 2 batteries, since you can be charging one while using the other. On shore based trips where I am doing 5 dives daily (a morning and an afternoon 2-tank trip plus a night dive), I bring 4 batteries....2 for the morning trip and then 2 for the afternoon. There is typically not enough time to recharge between the morning and afternoon trips. In the 4 battery scenario you need the GoPro dual charger.

It’s a great business model…..so many $$$ for accessories :wink:

FWIW, having the color LCD touchscreen turned on, if you have one, is the largest battery drain out of anything. Displays like that are very power hungry components. Hero 4 silver can turn it on and off, as well as dim it after a timer. With any kind of small electronics, the display is always the biggest power drain.

I use the Wasabi batteries too - They perform comparably to the gopro batteries (technically I think a bit better mAh) The good thing is having that charger so you can charge them all overnight.

Back
Top Bottom