GoPro advice and video feedback.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swiss_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear fellow divers

I'll be going to Mauritius in a few days with my beloved goPro 2 and a new pole that I bought.
I've done my first video in Mozambique 6 weeks ago with another stick and I think I could really use some advice on how to improve the camera movements and angles.

Do you have any tips&tricks you'd like to share on how to shoot best with a pole, gopro2 and a redfilter?

That is the pole:
Perche télescopique (Bleue), GoPro Suisse - GoPro Schweiz - GoPro Svizzera - GoPro Switzerland

Here is the video (go pro2, on a pole with a red-filter, 720p with 60fps, edited in Sony Vegas):
Diving in Mozambique, Zavora/Tofo 2012. - YouTube

Cheers!

first off, very very very nice work filming, and editing in Vegas. I use the same software and love it.

Even with a red filter, you don't mention Snake River Prototyping " SRP " or other Mfr of your lens, but I run dual SOLA 600 LED's lights even with my different red filters on. On "low" setting, they help fill in some of the shadows that are very dark in your video.
Yes I know its Devils Work Evil Thoughts You're Not Supposed To Do That.............lighting AND a filter.................but yup, otherwise you're not going to fill in dark spots on the bottom of the mantas, or under a ledge. Rules? Heck, break the rules. twin lights on low, WITH a red filter, makes for better end result..............IMHO...........YMMV,,

Other comments, and hey, this is up to the director and filmer, you..............is that I found the sub titles distracting in your video...............just saying, that's not bad, but not what myself I personally enjoy or share with other people.

sony vegas is SO powerful, great software to work with, and your music track and slow pans and fades between video clips shows it.

GREAT JOB

Hi Swiss,
you have some really nice shots in your video and well put together, especially for your first project. If your looking for a few pointers, then here are mine

Some of the scenes are quite shaky. Its possible there was some water current moving your camera about? This can be quite distracting as a viewer. Unless the footage is must have, then its better to scrap it. Yeah I know this can be painful at times! Using a shorter handheld grip or tray like the SRP version will help for a more stable result. The longer the pole the more shake you will get. Similar to using a zoom lens.

Try and keep the camera aimed at the subject without looking away and back again. If there is something else you want to video, then hold on that for some time. The more footage you have, the more you have to work with when editing. You can always shorten clips and use others for cutaway shots. These can be of the same subject but at a different angle or another diver looking at what you are videoing.

Shorten the video, at least for YouTube. 3-5min max as longer than that you start to loose the audience unless of course the content is riveting. You can get away with longer videos when they are for viewing at home with friends and family. I would make this video into two.

I agree with Rockheap with the lower 3rd titles. They can become distracting. Though you obviously have good knowledge of your fish species, so I didn't mind them for the educational side of things. You could consider a plain white font placed near the subject with no animated background. It could fade in/out and would be more subtle. Having said that , a shortened overall video would also reduce the amount of lower 3rds anyway and so may not be an issue?

I hope that helps

Thanks RockyHeap and SurfnPics for your feedback. It's really motivating and helps me to improve my skills.
Already took most of your advice for the dives I did in Mairitius over X-Mas/New Year. Due to busy times it'll probably be end of Jan until I get to edit it though :)

Have a fine day!

Back
Top Bottom