First boat dive and first GoPro video,PCB Bridge Span, October 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prunefoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This was my first boat dive after being AOW certified last summer, 2016. My family and I went down to PCB, FL and my wife and daughter got their OW certification while I went on the boat each day. Then they joined me on the boat the last 2 days of our trip.

This being my first video, I learned a lot. I made 17 dives that week and videoed each one, well except the shore dives in the jetties when I went with my family for their skills dives. I learned the shoulder mount for the GoPro sucked, and hoses and camera floats constantly got in the way. The next day I switched to an extendable pole mount.

For some reason, the color in the GoPro shifts from green to blue and back when I get close to an object.

Anyway, this being my first video, it's pretty crappy and isn't edited much, except for text scrolls, so it's long. I made this one for my friends and family who aren't divers, so they could get an idea of what boat diving was like.

I have many more I will share, if anyone cares to see them haha. I promise they get better.

Will be doing my first GoPro video soon. Did you use any filters on your dive housing?

Will be doing my first GoPro video soon. Did you use any filters on your dive housing?

I bought some filters that clip on to the outside of the dive housing for the GoPro, over the lens, but didn't use them for the fall break trip. I did try them when I we went back for spring break a few weeks ago. They did seem to correct the color somewhat, but they cut a lot of the natural light, making everything darker, so I didn't like them and took them off.

Regarding light, I have been using a Knog GoPro light, by Qudos, an Australian company, and I love it. It has 3 extremely bright LEDs that feature several variations of beam/spot light, or flood light. It even comes with a mount for your camera pole or base that lets you mount the light and GoPro side by side. Just the the knog and 2 or 3 batteries, and 2 or 3 micro SD memory cards, depending on the number of dives you do per day, and you are set. The Knog batteries use a micro USB plugged directly into them, with LEDs to indicate charging or charged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom