Google Earth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I downloaded google earth earlier today and the amount of detail and info that's available from Satellite Imagery is amazing. I can literally see my house and the surrounding neighbourhood in amazing detail.

What's interesting is that even though, Kingston isn't one of the cities with high resolution imagery, the detail and topography is spot on. I imagine that for major world cities :flag: it'd be even better.
Unfortunately the satellite imagery for the rest of the island isn't as good, so I can't see my favorite dive sites :(.
Anyway have a look at it and tell me what you guys think :14: .

http://earth.google.com/

I downloaded it about two weeks ago. I love it, and enjoy showing people their houses. I have been using it lately to measure out my running routes.

Yeah, i've just realised some of the other features like layers, plotting distance and 3d views of buildings are pretty cool.

Home Sweet home... 18°02'48.27" N. 76°49'59.63" W
I've found one of my dive sites with this... Directions:
18 degrees 28.63 minutes North 77 degrees 27.636 minutes west.

Just downloaded it. It's cool albeit a bit scary ("big brother is watching you").

One big disadvantage...
No way to layer dive centres onto it!

Down loading now, thanks for the heads up, love this stuff.

Been using satellite imagery and aerial photographs for over 15 years to look at kelp bed distributions. In one of the early (mid-70's) U-2 images I looked at, I could easily see the 4' diameter round table on my sun deck!

This is an awesome site! We spent the evening looking up old and present addresses, places we have visited, places of interest, etc. The amount of detail in the higher resolution areas is terrific! We even found an airplane and its' shadow in Florida! You can see the magenta iceplant flowers surrounding my house (well it must be a bit old because some of the bushes have died, lol :crafty:)!!

jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom