Goodman glove for pull over dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using the Goodman glove below for all my recreational diving, but now that I have a drysuit with dry gloves pulled over my wrist rings, it no longer works. The dry glove wrist is way too thick for the wrist-side strap to even close, and the palm-side strap is only halfway velcroed, which doesn't seem very secure. I don't want to use the kinds of fake "Goodman" handles that would require me to hold something, as in most canister lights, it needs to be firmly attached even when my palm is open and relaxed, and without any effort on my part to hold it in place.

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/849484.jpg

I have looked for pre-made alternatives, but I have not been able to find anything suitable. Has anyone made their own Goodman handle? What materials did you use? Where did you get them? How do you stitch things together, what kind of thread? Do you need an industrial grade sewing machine?

The pullover glove is not only thick in the wrist area, but the large ring around my wrist limits usable area for attachment, and as I try to fit my existing Goodman handle over my palm, the back of the handle/light slightly pushes against the wrist ring. This is concerning, as it limits mobility at the wrist.

I came across this thread on ScubaBoard, but there is not enough detail, and I'm somewhat skeptical about using just glue to hold things together.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/447314-using-dive-light-goodman-handle-glove.html

I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Why not just make the same thing out of extra large "fingerless" gloves like cyclists wear? Then you have more security because you actually have a glove and only one velcro strap that closes closely around the palm rather than farther back on the wrist.

As for clearing the zip ring, I'd add a spacer of closed cell foam or lightweight plastic (less comfortable) that cradles the light high enough off your hand to not interfere with the ring. I wouldn't bother with glue of any kind, personally. I'd just sew it all together.

why not make a double-sided velcro "cheater tab" for each strap to lengthen it to your liking? (Just stitch the backs together of two opposite sides of velcro and trim to length needed... If you really wanted to, you could permanently stitch one end to the strap......

Have you seen the new Dive Rite 'Goodmans'.....Divegearexpress.com...Also on DRIS.com

Back
Top Bottom