Good Work Horse Dive Light Halogen or LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allan C Smith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok so I'm moving to St Vincent and hopefully will catch a DM job while I'm down there. Heading back to the US in a month and figure its time that I get my own Dive Lights. I'm Currently looking at the smaller Ikelights. The halogens are about half the price of the LEDs and I am wondering what the Difference is? I'm assuming it has to do with power consumption and bulb changes but is there any difference in the amount of light they throw? Also I would enjoy any other suggestions on Dive lights that other pros have that are dependable but in the sub $50 Range.

Thanks for the Help.

---------- Post Merged at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:51 AM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/408528-good-led-dive-light-without-breaking-bank.html

Guess I should have found this before asking.

Halogen? That's like 1970's technology. It's half the price because the buls are weak and they suck a ton of power. HID are the best for output, but they can be fragile and tend to be power hungry also. but boy they put out beautiful beam of sunlight. LED are a great compromise. The bulbs are rugged, they have a very long burn life, and the newest ones can put a lot of light out, just not quite to the point of the HID. LED's generally have a pretty good battery life too, but it depends on how many LEDs are in the head. When you start talking HID level output, you are pulling a lot of juice even with LEDs.

In your price range the Intovas (Tovatec) lights (LED) are quite nice. Dorcy also but am unsure of price but imagine close to your budget. The Hollis handhelds also look nice but a little over your budget, but not by much. Have a look at link below. Good luck.

Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express

Your best bet is definately LED. LED's are much more electrically efficient than older bulb technologies like Halogen. This means that for a given amount of power they are either brighter, have greater battery life or a combination of the two. LED's are also more durable and longer a longer "lamp" life.

Here's an overview on LED dive lights that might be of interest.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom