Good tank for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a PST tank.

K

TC - 3AAM184
31A00 REE 87.9

Is this a 104? What the heck is this beast?

Ken

Not exactly sure what that means, but to help you decipher a bit of it....

The TC3AA is probably a low pressure steel classification. The REE stands for rejection elastic expansion, if exceeded during a hydro test will be rejected. As for the rest, you got me.

It sounds like you have a PST 104.

Which is basically the same cylinder as the E8 130.

The E series cylinder's have been re-rated, the old HP's are now rated for 3442 psi and the old LP's are rated for 3442 psi.

Pst does not make HP130's, all of the E series cylinders are rated to 3442 psi, the difference between the E7's and E8's ias the diameter of the cylinder, E7=7.25" E8=8.0".

DOT-3AA2400 3-00+

Dot=Division of Transportation

2400 is the working pressure

3-00+ is the hydro date, the + means it was tested for a 10% overfill, so the working pressure is 2640 psi.

Only PST makes the 104, OMS and Faber never did.

The 104's are nice cylinders, I am sure you will be happy with it.

mwilding once bubbled... I have a good deal available to me on a mid pressure 120CF tank - 120CF @ 2650psi. I have been meaning to get a tank of my own with an eye on moving to doubles in the future.

I could get another one of these down the line and have a heavy set of doubles or keep this as my singles tank or even use it to top off a set of doubles on a boat.

Any thoughts?
Keeping it as a singles tank is probably your best option. A set of double 120's is a real gut buster and you will rarely find a use for it.

I bought two 112s with the idea of maybe doubling them if needed. I've determined I'll never do that and would get a pair of the new E8-130s if I had it to do over. They would be good as singles tanks and doubling would be viable if needed.

In the meantime, the 112s are a good match with a drysuit and are good with a wetsuit under some conditions. They are pretty much useless for diving with no exposure protection in fresh water.

TC - 3AAM184
31A00 REE 87.9

Ken, that 184 is the service pressure of the tank in bar. 184 bar x 14.7 psi/bar = 2700 psi.

A 'BAR' is not exactly one atm. It's a scientific numeric equivalent to approx 14.5 lbs/sq in. Thus, 184 bar = 2668 psi. I mention this to prevent scientific drift on the vaunted SCUBA Board.

Sorry, I stand corrected. It was more of an estimate I can easily do in my head.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom