Good setting for dc1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricksteric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In caymans now with my new dc1400. I need help!!!! Have everything on auto... With ext flash
Pictures are getting over flashed... Trying all kinds of setting but not too proud of my results..
So I guess I need some direction on how to work the camera with the external flash and what setting things should be on
Also do you recommend that I get the wide angle lense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have the strength dials on the back of the strobes set to auto as well? If your photos are constantly blown out, I'm guessing they are set to 10 (full power) or something. Either way, try a lower strobe strength depending on your distance from the subject.

Yeah I had it on auto, I messed around with dial setting today. They were a bit better.
What do you all use for battery's in the strobe?

Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it a sealife strobe?

If so, I just use rechargeable AA's, nothing fancy.

If on Grand Cayman I would suggest contacting Cathy Church at her shop at Sunset House. I think the guys name is Tee that I took a class from. They know their camera's there and will give you a lot of information that is very helpful. Well worth the money if you want to begin taking good pictures.

I use eneloop AA batteries in my SeaLife strobe with DC 1200 and DC1400---they last much much longer
than regular rechargeables or regular AA batteries....well worth the price when out on a dive boat and
changing batteries in a hurry isn't an option.

Do you have a diffuser on the strobe? That helps a lot!

With the adjustments on the back of the camera there are three settings for the distance (flower, ??. mountain). There are also three setting for the flash. I have a DC1200 and have played around with combinations and depending on settings the exact same picture can run from very dark to over exposed.

You can also adjust the light angle. I am getting a diffuser but do not have one yet. For a close photograph I find it helpful, even on auto, to aim the flash a bit to one side of the object to be photographed.

Note that if you are on auto there are two places you set for auto flash. One is a switch on the inside next to the batteries. The other is the dial on the back of the flash. I find that auto does pretty good unless the target is real close or has some shiny scales on it. Then you might want to go lower than auto is giving you.

Generally you are better off with the pictures slightly dark than overexposed. Almost any software will correct for a little darkness while overexposed is not very correctable.

hi man I've got a Sealife DC1400 with twin Sea and Sea strobes, I usually run with my strobes set on 1/2 power which is 3/4 of dial adjustment on the strobe and use the camera flash settings (macro - mountain) to get the right lighting don't get too many over exposed pictures, lately have gone back to a single strobe still using the settings.

Back
Top Bottom