Good regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaag03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am getting certified in July and would like to purchase my own regulator. What is a good one for a beginner that will not break the bank. I plan to dive 10 to 12 times a year. Any input is great, thanks! :D

Are you talking about 2-3 dive vacations a year with 10-20 dives per vacation or 2-3 dives per year? If it's the latter, I would suggest renting regulators.

Both Mares and Oceanic have a good affordable line of regs..

diving 2-3 times a year.. reguard less if it is 2 - 3 vacations with a few dives, I think it would be better for you to just rent until you are serious and commited... Would be a waste to buy regs and then have them sit aroun 3 quarter of the year.. Then have them serviced just too much hassle unless you plan on logging more than a few dives a year

I dive a Zeagle Envoy which is moderately priced. But, I would reccomend checking out what others you maybe diving with are diving and what you can get serviced easily. Just my opinion. Enjoy your class!

I would take 1 to 2 trips a year, 4 to 6 dives on those trips, and make some trips to the local Scuba parks around here in Dallas just to get wet. So i would say i would average 10-12 dives a year.

Hell, if I lived in Dallas all the flight crews that go to Cozumel would know me by name.

Yeah, rent first, see what you like, read reviews, search SB. You'll find lots of info.

scubaag03:
I would take 1 to 2 trips a year, 4 to 6 dives on those trips, and make some trips to the local Scuba parks around here in Dallas just to get wet. So i would say i would average 10-12 dives a year.

You say that now but it is entirely possible that you will get the "diving bug". Then your total dives per year will increase.

You might also consider the resale value when researching a regulator. Some regulators hold their value better than others, so if you wished to leave the sport (heaven forbid), you could recoup much of your initial investment.

I personally favour Atomic Aquatics regulators, which are widely considered to be among the best in the world, and usually fetch a respectable price on the used gear market. As Atomic regulators are expensive, I would recommend the Z2, their entry level reg, which actually performs just as well as Atomic's top-of-line models, but is made of less exotic materials.

Cheers,

Sadamune

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom