Good Price for a New Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up my first DIN regulator, and after reading posts here about how one should rinse/soak a reg under pressure, I am considering picking up a small tank for that purpose. Additionally I guess I could use it in my pool for basic gear checkout if needed.

My LDS has a 19cf Catalina tank with a DIN valve for $152. Is this a good brand/price combo? I would probably pick up an insert as well in case I want to pressurize my yoke 1st stage.

I checked the local Craig's list and there wasn't anything worthwhile for sale.

a 19cf Catalina tank with a DIN valve for $152. Is this a good brand/price combo?
That's a very good deal assuming it's includes the normal new VIP sticker with an airfill. Even with a 1yr stale 'born on date' at that price, that's still a good deal. In Florida that tank is going for ~$200 new w/Vip & air out the door. Then read up here on transfill whip and sling/back rigging if you so desire.

A pony tank for rinsing your reg is very much a luxury item vs. a "must have" item.

You can rinse your reg with your thumb over the inlet and soak the second stages with the first stage elevated out of the water.

If you have extra money to spend and another purpose for an AL19 (bailout bottle, maybe, though you'll need another reg) then it's a fair price.

You can soak dins regs with a cap on.

But if you're going to get a pony get one that'll be useful down the road like an AL40. Get it used, they don't wear out.

That said I have an al13 with an ah valve to soak my doubles regs but it's absolutely a luxury item.

You can rinse your reg with your thumb over the inlet and soak the second stages with the first stage elevated out of the water.
Thanks. I have a threaded Delrin cap. I assume that's better than my thumb? Also, remind me why the 1st stage needs to be elevated and dry while soaking the second stages? And I know, don't press the purge buttons! 😁

Red Sullivan opines that if the regulator is not pressured, the air spool O-rings are not engaged, leading to leaks @ this type connection.
I agree.

And for un-SPEC’d piston 1st stages they like to be soaked overnight. I just got into the habit of soaking my regs pressurized since I know no water will get into any suspect areas.
But I have a lot of tanks and generally after a dive day I leave the rig assembled and still pressurized from the last dive. When I get home everything goes into a 2’x2’x3’ galvanized water tank and soaks overnight. I go inside and crack a beer, I deal with it in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom