Good places to read up on how to dive with a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really want to fly helicopters; Is there a book for that so I can skip the expensive training? I really need to get the radio lingo down so I can land where I want, and my new iphone has a weather app I can use for the rest.

I think you better stick to the online course!!

I really want to fly helicopters; Is there a book for that so I can skip the expensive training? I really need to get the radio lingo down so I can land where I want, and my new iphone has a weather app I can use for the rest.

At least you want to learn how to land.

Back to the question:
DIY can be done, mentors are better, if you pay them they are instructors, if you pay them enough and pass a class you can get a card. Your call.

Bob
----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Yes... it's because they were wearing Split Fins with their drysuit though.

And sucking on a spare air.

When I bought my dry suit, I made a few pool dives with an experienced buddy. We then did some diving up at Dutch Springs.

chose an easy shore place, shallow, no current like a lake or a quarry and go for some dive with someone experience with a dry suit.

That is exactly the opposite I did, except for the experienced person. My two first dry suit dive were on a wreck, with current, by 60 ft depth and by boat. All went well.

The third dry suit dive was in a quarry and was not a good dive. Go figure. I'm at ten dive so far with my dry and I'm beguining to feel correct with it.

Like everything in diving , practice make better if not perfect. Don't use your dry as a BC, you have a BC for that. Just enough air to remove the squeezing feeling, but not to much. You want to have a bit of sqeezing feeling like in a wetsuit. It will be easier. But remember, what,s in the dry suit stay in the dry suit, except if you have a valve fo it.

I don't really want to take the PADI class. I figured I'd just read up on it and learn by myself in the pool / beginner beaches @ 20ft. Any good online resources and writeups?
I wouldn't recommend that approach for a novice diver.

Join a local dive club as a way of expanding your circle of dive buddies.
Perhaps you'll meet some experienced drysuit divers who can give you tips as you adjust to using the drysuit. You'll have a lot of questions along the way.

As others have stated, the most efficient and safe method of learning how to use the drysuit is to find a mentor (experienced drysuit diver who can teach) or take a formal class with a good instructor.

I don't really want to take the PADI class. I figured I'd just read up on it and learn by myself in the pool / beginner beaches @ 20ft. Any good online resources and writeups?
Looking at your profile of less than 25 dives I would not recomment that you do this on your own.
Not a good idea..either get a mentor that really knows what they are doing , and are willing to accept the liability of taking you,or take a formal class.Depending on the instructor it can be a very good experience.
You can just as easily get yourself inverted in 10' of water as you can in 100'.Most LDs will sell you a dry suit and include a class with it at no charge.
In the class you not only get experience using a dry suit but learn how to do some repairs on it,learn what options are for undergarments,materials suits are made of + more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom