Good places to read up on how to dive with a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't really want to take the PADI class. I figured I'd just read up on it and learn by myself in the pool / beginner beaches @ 20ft. Any good online resources and writeups?

Possibly at least get the manual and read it. There a few good tips in there. Only real reason to take the course other than getting the card to be able to rent the suit would be for the pool time getting familiar with it. If you have a buddy that dives dry ask them for some pointers and dive a few dives with them

The PADI drysuit class can be a waste of money and time.

The best substitute is shallow work with a mentor.

Trying to learn on the internet is foolish.

This goes for diving and stock tips.

You can buy the PADI Drysuit course material and DVD from eBay pretty cheaply. I took the course, but reading the workbook and diving with a drysuit competent buddy should be all you need.

I would second (or third) the idea of at least picking up the books. I've seen bad drysuit classes, but I've also seen people think they can just figure it out on their own and end up in a recompression chamber. They're not as easy as picking up a new snorkel, so be carefu, stay shallow at first and don't bring other stuff (cameras, spearguns, etc) for the first few attempts.

I really want to fly helicopters; Is there a book for that so I can skip the expensive training? I really need to get the radio lingo down so I can land where I want, and my new iphone has a weather app I can use for the rest.

If your going to go diving with a mentor route, get one that knows what he's doing and can teach you all the ins and outs of drysuits ... you dont want to find out the hard way

If you want to see what a drysuit class could look like, here is the review I did of mine ....... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/260824-padi-dry-suit-class.html

I did not get much from the book .. the class however was a real eye opener

Well I agree with the mentor and a ton of practice...its not rocket surgery. Most people I know here in the great white north never take a drysuit course.
If someone wont rent a suit to you...tell them you took your OW in Canada. We don't need no stinking drysuit badges :wink:

Back
Top Bottom