Good places to dive around Playa del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from PDC and diving with DiveMike for the 2nd year in a row. They are a great shop and we highly recommend them. The PDC harbor is closed often in because they dont have small boat docks like Cozumel does, so you have to load from the beach which can get rough. We pretty much dive exclusively cenotes in PDC-- they are a litte more expensive but beautiful and a nice change from the ocean. If you're AOW try the Angelita Cenote for something completely different. My other favorite is Caracol Cenote but I dont think any shops go there regularly as it's in a tech training site further away and with higher entry fees.
PDC also doesnt have a cruise ship port so it tends to be quieter and less "touristy". On non-diving activities, all we do is eat sleep & dive, so the only thing I can say is skip visiting the Tulum ruins... waste of time and money. Have fun!

Hello I just got from PDC on July 14 I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan. Some dive Spots are Barracuda Reef 35to 40' very nice reef then there is the MaMa Vina wreck which is in 100' (WATCH OUT FOR THE FIRE CORAL)

SusieQ:
Hey everyone,

I'm going to Playa del Carmen from July 26th-August 14th and I'll be staying in Casa Tucan. i need your input on good and bad dive shops and give me some ideas on awesome places to dive.
Ideas on non-diving things to do would be appreciated as well.
Thanks guys!

We're going to PDC in November and I'm also looking for dive shop recommendations. We'll be staying at an all-inclusive (Gran Porto Real) which I believe is several blocks north of the pier to Cozumel. By the way, I didn't pick the place - going with my husband's office for a conference being held at Gran Porto Real although I don't think he'll be getting much work done (at least not if I have anything to say about it!). :crafty:

Anybody know about Sealife Divers? They look to be very close to our hotel. I'll also check into the other places mentioned in this thread but was wondering if anybody has used them. I'm not sure about the hotel's on-site dive operations - tried to send an e-mail but no success.

On the cenotes - never done that but it sounds like something we shouldn't miss while we're there. We just got back from Roatan with 16 or 17 dives so at least we have recent diving under our belts (plus prior diving trips) but I'm wondering if we're prepared for the cenotes - any advice?

Any comments on our hotel also appreciated! Thanks!

You'll probably be happy with any of the popular shops, Dive Mike, Abyss (located at the Blue Parrot Hotel), Tank-Ha (big yellow building on 5th Ave). PDC boat are usually small and fast with no frills. DM and crew will load your gear into the boat which will be anchored in about waist deep water. You'll walk out to the boat and "hop" over the side. Bench style seating and you'll be rolling in for the dive. Nothing fancy, nothing to hard.

Personally, I wouldn't charter a dive to Coz from Playa Del Carmen. I would arrange a charter with a Coz based dive op and take the early morning ferry over (about $14 r/t). I found the cost to be cheaper doing it this way and the ferry is pretty fast (if you go with the faster one).

The guided cavern diving in the cenotes is very safe as long as you go with a reputable dive op and have good buoyancy control. I went for the 1st time when I only had about 25 dives and I felt very comfortable, then went again earlier this year to some more advanced cenotes. We used Dive Mike both times- the are very safety conscious and give thorough briefings. We really enjoy the cenotes, they are unique and incredibly beautiful. You can check out Dive Mike's info page on cenote's here: http://www.divemike.com/cenotediving.html

I have been diving in play del carmen bunch of times. try turtal reef. you will see about 20 turtals. try a caverin dive too. you will have to drive about 20min but its worth it. go to cholc mole..(cave name). I went through Barakkuda Diving the new owners are ************s but the dive instructor for cavren diving is great.. its about 2 miles S of playa. right by Royel hideaway all incluseive. it cost 2 $Am.. from a taxi from playa to the holtel.
but just about any dive shop will beable to take you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom