Good Online Source for Digital Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a good experience with Adorama so far. I bought my UW housing from them as well as a couple of other things. They're primarily a photo gear dealer, but have a fairly decent UW photo inventory as well. Their prices are fairly low as well. B&H Photo Video is another option. Haven't dealt with them myself, but heard a great many good things about them. HTH.

-Roman.

Adorama is Leisure Pro's camera division. I've bought several things from them and been pleased with both the merchandise and the service.

For what it's worth, I bought my camera at a local camera store. I told them what I would pay online and they got within $50 of that price. It was worth the $50 to have a physical location to return to if there was a problem.

I purchased a Nikon 885 through MPSuperstore. I was pleased with the price and service. They were a little pushy (they would call it suggestive) with the "extras" but I don't blame them. After all thats where they make their bling. They seemed to be rated well through mysimon.com and had a good price. Camera was shipped quickly and arrived with all factory supplied accys. Some dealers strip batteries, lens covers, straps, eyepices, etc.. and then try to sell them to you as an accy. I didn't find that with them.
Again, this was my exp. with them.
Hope this helps.
-Crispy

Dee once bubbled...
...I bought my camera at a local camera store. I told them what I would pay online and they got within $50 of that price. It was worth the $50 to have a physical location to return to if there was a problem.
You know, I wonder if Best Buy or Circuit City would do something like that :confound:?

Someone told me they tried that once but they guy gave them some excuse of being an "online retailer" and they can't account for inventory or something.

Oh well...its worth a shot, I guess.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
You know, I wonder if Best Buy or Circuit City would do something like that :confound:?

Don't they have that matching ad thing? You know where they will match anyones advertised price? I found a good price on the internet and printed the page. The guy at the camera store said it was a stretch but instead of matching the price as they would for a competitor in town, he would get as close as he could. I thanked him and told him I appreciated it. Honey gets you more than vinegar, my old Granny always said! It also helps to talk to the manager, the guy who has the authority to make the deals. The sales kids on the floor will give you all kinds of excuses rather than the truth or leading you to the manager.

Can't hurt to ask, just be polite about it.

Talk to a "local" shop. Excluding some of giant superstores, most of the hardware in a camera shop has very little mark up on it. It's the Accys. that they make their money on (film, media, tri-pods, filters, etc...) So for a retailer who can take stock in the individual customer, in a way most small buisness owners do, it usually isn't a far journey for them to travel to come close to an online price.

Of course it helps if you are sincere about giving them some future buisness or if your buying some accys. at the same time.

-Crispy

I have been thinking about the same thing. Printing the “ad” from the internet and going into Best Buy or Circuit City and seeing if they will match that price. I haven’t done it yet since I am still saving $ for the Olympus 5050.

Let us know if you have succeeded at any of these mega-retailers.

I like Dee’s idea though since I would prefer to go local with better customer service, especially with something that may need maintenance down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom