Good Diving spots in Key Largo??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deoje

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can someone give me some recommendations on good dive charters in the Key Largo area?

I am planning a vacation and I would like to dive some while there. Also, what are some good locations to dive and snorkel? My wife won't dive, but she will snorkel.:wink:

I know these are sort of broad questions, but any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

I like Amoray a lot as the boat and rooms are right there. Just get up and step onto the boat. I've dived everyone in the Middle Keys and Amoray seems to be the all-around best. For value, you can't beat Silent World and their 10 dive special.

For sites, it depends where you are diving out of. Snappers ledge is good but is far south - neither shop mentioned above will go there. All around Molasses Reef is good. The City of Washington is a good night dive - any shop you are with will do those. As lame as it sounds, the Christ statue is a nice area and there are many snorkellers there too.

I dived with Silent World in 2006, and had a very good experience with them. Their 10-dive special is probably the best diving value in the Keys. About half their trips are to relatively shallow reefs and wrecks (30 - 40 ft.) and often snorkelers are on-board with divers. However, some of their trips are to deep-dive wreck sites. You could pick and choose your trips. If you dive in Key Largo, I'd really recommend diving the Benwood wreck. The depth is only about 40 ft., and it is one of my all-time favorite dives.

I also did 2 dives with Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center and did not have a good experience with them.

Also, you might want to check with John Pennekamp State Park. They have a large boat that goes out each day to the shallow reef sites, and they welcome snorkelers as well as divers. However, I have no first-hand knowledge of their dive operation. The park also has a great visitor center and a large salt water aquarium.

A trip report for my Feb. 06 trip to Key Largo is here:
http://www.trailquest.net/scubatrips.html#keylargo06

Have a great trip.

I would think everyone goes to the Benwood. Tons of fishies and not so deep that from a snorkelers point of view it wouldn't be fun.

Understand most of the better shallow dive sites are still in 30 +/- feet.

Back
Top Bottom