Good Diving in the keys last weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys!

Well, our business trip to South Florida went well, and it looks like the boss lady and I will soon be selling tractors from a leased site in Okechobee, or near there.

While we were in the area, we hopped down to Islamorada on Friday and I got to dive with the kids at Ocean Quest on Saturday and Sunday morning. All week, I watched the weather, and the coming cold front, and was SURE that the boat wouldn't leave the dock, but when I arrived at the shop on Saturday morning, it was loaded with tanks for me and the two other guys diving that day, and off we went to the Eagle for a first dive.

Conditions on the surface were a bit bumpy, but not too bad to stand, and the water was WARM conpared to the Great Lakes where I usually dive. Got to try out my new 3 mil steamer and beenie, both of which worked just fine. Vis was in the 40 foot range, sea life was excellent. Saw both of the Grouper that tend to live on the wreck and had a good dive.

Back on the boat, and a short run to Victory reef. Current was up a bit. Dive was around 60', but my buddies navigation was good and we made a nice sweep around the area for 35 minutes or so. Vis was still around 40 and water temp was right around 75 or so. Ride back to the shop at Smugglers Cove was just plain ROUGH, with us running into the wind.

Sunday, we went again in the morning. With two dives on Crocker Reef. One on the deep end, and a second on the shallow end. Surface was quite a bit calmer, but the vis was going away. Maybe 30' or so, in 77 degree water. Second dive, it was even worse, with my buddies navigation skills put to the test with only about 18-20' of vis. We eventually found our way back to the boat, but had to go to the surface to take a peek to be sure where it was. Still was enjoyable, to dive in a wetsuit in nice warm water.

Drive back to Michigan was LONG, but uneventful. About 22 degrees with a 20mph wind from the west and blowing snow, with 2-4" of fresh stuff on the ground. Will be glad to get back down to Florida and the warm weather!

Thanks for the good diving, wish I could have seen a couple of you in the Keys....

sounds like a good trip, Tom with the possiblity of many more. :thumbs_up

frankenmuth_tom:
Hi guys!

Well, our business trip to South Florida went well, and it looks like the boss lady and I will soon be selling tractors from a leased site in Okechobee, or near there.

While we were in the area, we hopped down to Islamorada on Friday and I got to dive with the kids at Ocean Quest on Saturday and Sunday morning. All week, I watched the weather, and the coming cold front, and was SURE that the boat wouldn't leave the dock, but when I arrived at the shop on Saturday morning, it was loaded with tanks for me and the two other guys diving that day, and off we went to the Eagle for a first dive.

Conditions on the surface were a bit bumpy, but not too bad to stand, and the water was WARM conpared to the Great Lakes where I usually dive. Got to try out my new 3 mil steamer and beenie, both of which worked just fine. Vis was in the 40 foot range, sea life was excellent. Saw both of the Grouper that tend to live on the wreck and had a good dive.

Back on the boat, and a short run to Victory reef. Current was up a bit. Dive was around 60', but my buddies navigation was good and we made a nice sweep around the area for 35 minutes or so. Vis was still around 40 and water temp was right around 75 or so. Ride back to the shop at Smugglers Cove was just plain ROUGH, with us running into the wind.

Sunday, we went again in the morning. With two dives on Crocker Reef. One on the deep end, and a second on the shallow end. Surface was quite a bit calmer, but the vis was going away. Maybe 30' or so, in 77 degree water. Second dive, it was even worse, with my buddies navigation skills put to the test with only about 18-20' of vis. We eventually found our way back to the boat, but had to go to the surface to take a peek to be sure where it was. Still was enjoyable, to dive in a wetsuit in nice warm water.

Drive back to Michigan was LONG, but uneventful. About 22 degrees with a 20mph wind from the west and blowing snow, with 2-4" of fresh stuff on the ground. Will be glad to get back down to Florida and the warm weather!

Thanks for the good diving, wish I could have seen a couple of you in the Keys....

Sounds like you had fun, wish the vis was alittle better for you, and it's good to hear the water temps are mid 70's down there, alittle north there around 68 on the bottom, just perfect to dive dry, :wink:

Wish we could of hooked up while you were here, maybe next time. Glad you enjoyed what our fine state has to offer.

Scuba Jenny, where are you located? I'm heading down to KW at the end of march.

Tom...helluva drive my man!

I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Let us know when you are gonna be in town, and maybe we can sneak a beach dive in.

Well heck! I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past July! (although I wasn't certified, but did a resort course in KW) Although, I DID attend the Grand Opening of Diver's Direct/World Watersports!! (and wandered through the HUGE Bass Pro bext door!)(shame I don't fish!)

I'm coming to KW at the end of March, and Tampa the first week of August.

Haven't decided exactly what I want to do in March yet...I want to dive Alexander's wreck, but the operator said that because of current's in the Gulf it's rare, so I MAY take my advanced (maybe not...not sure if I'm really really ready yet...why rush!?) I just may stick to some reefs at first, then maybe see if I can squeeze a dive onto Joe's Tug)

We'll see!

The sticker is that usually we fly INTO Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and drive down, stopping somewhere midway to check out the "local culture"..We stayed in Marathon in November, and I want to dive Sombrero Reef (out by the light)...not this time!

Scuba_Jenny:
Wish we could of hooked up while you were here, maybe next time. Glad you enjoyed what our fine state has to offer.

I'll know in another couple of weeks if we can get a business license for the space we want in Okeechobee. If that happens, I'll be living in Florida by 1 April or so. Then I'll be looking for someone to do some diving with in the Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie/Vero Beach area as I'll have some Sundays off.

Looks like we'll be living the 'resort lifestyle' in an RV park in Okeechobee for the next couple of years in a large 5th wheel trailer and working six days a week trying to make a go of my new tractor store.

I'll let you all know when the GRAND OPENING is....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom