Good diving in NZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know that's a horribly broad question, but I'll ask it none the less. Next January I'm doing an exchange down to the Uni of Otago in Dunedin, and will be there for about a year. I'm planning to pack my fins, mask & snorkel, knife, and light with the hope of getting some awesome underwater time in.

So far I'm a beginner, having done about 10 dives. What's the Dunedin area like for scuba? Will I need a drysuit in NZ in general, or are there areas that are more wetsuit-friendly (I'm from Vancouver, and fairly accustomed to using one). Also, what are some key things to look out for while diving in NZ?

Never dived that far south. But if you are willing to travel the South ISland does offer some great diving. Fiordland on the west coast Kaikouro on the top of the east coast. Stewart Island south of the South Island are just a few great spots. And Im sure Dunedin has something to offer. I would think a drysuit would be a good idea although I have yet to use one myself but then I have only dived in the North Island 12 -22 deg C

Key thing to look out for, Koura!!!

Thrillhouse:
I know that's a horribly broad question, but I'll ask it none the less. Next January I'm doing an exchange down to the Uni of Otago in Dunedin, and will be there for about a year. I'm planning to pack my fins, mask & snorkel, knife, and light with the hope of getting some awesome underwater time in.

So far I'm a beginner, having done about 10 dives. What's the Dunedin area like for scuba? Will I need a drysuit in NZ in general, or are there areas that are more wetsuit-friendly (I'm from Vancouver, and fairly accustomed to using one). Also, what are some key things to look out for while diving in NZ?
Hi Thrillhouse!

Otage is a beautiful part of NZ and the university is presitigious. Have a look at www.diveotago.co.nz - they have heaps of info on dive sites including the Puddle Alley, Danger Reef and Red Barn Reef and they will be able to advise you on the conditions too. I would also recommend a drysuit, despite being here in the summer although you would probably be warm enough in a two-piece 7mm wetty (if you prefer wetsuits).

Do you think you will get the chance to see the reat of NZ during your stay?

I hope that helps - DD.

Hi Trillhouse
I grew up down that way but have not dived it other than Milford Sound which is a real icon both below and above the water. I think Dive Otago is pretty active so they would be a good place to start and yes a dry suit would be a good idea.
Alison

I'm definately planning to travel when down there. Be a real shame to fly all the way down there and not make every effort to see the rest of the country. :wink:

The newest edition of National Geographic has an awesome section of NZ's marine preserves with some great photos. Apparently there's a push to get 10% of all coastal waters protected by 2010, a truely awesome initiative! Looking very forward to checking many of the places they mention out.

Thrillhouse:
Apparently there's a push to get 10% of all coastal waters protected by 2010, a truely awesome initiative!
10% of the coast is huge. NZ maybe small but we have about as much coastline as mainland USA. I know a lot of fishermen/women that would not be to happy with 10%. Especially when they want to make the best 10% into reserves.

Thrillhouse:
The newest edition of National Geographic has an awesome section of NZ's marine preserves with some great photos. Apparently there's a push to get 10% of all coastal waters protected by 2010, a truely awesome initiative! Looking very forward to checking many of the places they mention out.
You are right, this has been on the plans for a long time and I for one applaud it...they just need to have more of a think about where to put them.

If you venture up north, check out the diving from Paihia. They got the wreck of the Rainbow Warrior, and an excellent dive site called Cathedral Cave, next to the Hole In The Rock. Check here.

I've Heard there is some awesome diving in the milford sounds (never dived there myself) Regarding a drysuit, I'd say yeah get one if you find 15-20 degree water cold.

Back
Top Bottom