good dive shops - New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadine

Reaction score
I'm flying into New York for a couple of days, from Moscow, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dive shop? It has to be easier than trying to buy stuff in Russian!

I imagine you want to take the stuff home with you, so you will want to go to a store that maintains items in stock, instead of placing orders for you. I suspect you might also want a warranty?

Leisurepro has more stock than all the local shops combined, but you are always taking a chance when you buy from them because there stuff does not have a manufacturer's warranty.

Scuba Network fairly limited choices, mostly gear that's only useful in warm water. Village divers has a tiny shop and does not maintain a lot of stock. Pan Aqua and Hoboken Divers both stock a nice assortment of gear so you can pick out what you want and take it right home with you.

There are dive shops in Brooklyn too, but I've never explored them.

If you have something specific, expensive and somewhat unusual in mind (I'm thinking drysuit) you probably are not going to find it sitting on a shelf at a dive shop. I suspect that you might be able to talk a local shop into ordering one for you in advance. If a drysuit is what you're looking for, try Hoboken Divers. I seem to remember that they had some in stock back when I was shopping for one.

not sure how the whole warranty thing would work for you in moscow anyway but if you are looking for the absolute best prices and fantastic in stock selection go to leisure pro. you will save so much that i believe it is well worth the small risk. i have never had a problem with anything i have bought there and it has been a lot of gear.
also, they do offer the same warranty as the manufacturer although no other store will honor it. therefore, if you bought a defective item you could return it via mail from moscow or on your next trip to new york. you will have to decide how practical this worst case scenario would be.

am going to be based, I think, pretty much in the middle of Manhattan, but as when visiting all foreign cities, have no preconceived ideas of distance, thus will pretty much travel anywhere.
Leisure pro sounds good, the stuff I need to get is pretty standard. Not really too fussed about warranty, if something does go wrong, will always find a way round.

Also, haven't been diving for a while so am really out of date with new products, would really appreciate any recommendations on BCs, regs and masks that can have the face plate corrected for someone who needs glasses.
Does Leisurepro have website?

nadine once bubbled...
Does Leisurepro have website?
Who Doesn't have a website? I think my dry cleaner has a web site.

LeisurePro's can be found at www.leisurepro.com.

If U go to leisure pro, do not ask for advise, Nobody in the store is a diver. They know there products well but never used them. I think U would want hands on expeiance with most diving gear.

LeisurePro is pretty easy to get to from most "central" parts of the city. I'm not sure what good a manufacturers warranty will do you in Russia, anyway, since you'd need to bring it back to the shop you bought the item at for service (unless there are local dealers in Russia, which I suspect would be unlikely for most stuff). So, you might actually be better off at leisurepro since their primary business is conducted by mail and that's how you'd be handling "warranty" issues (their warranty). Although most (perhaps all) of the people working there are not expereinced divers, I've still gotten sound advice based on what they know and what they sell, but like anything, it is best to do your homework first.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom