Good Dive computer that scales to tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a rec diver with some interest in doing Tech in the future. I am curious if any of you have a suggestion a dive computer that would scale from rec diving to tech diving. I currently own a Suunto Zoop.

-Hostage

I really like the touch screen if the Liquivision Xeo and I love the computer. Great Screen which is super easy to see.
It seems, though, that the Shearwater computers are more popular with the tech crowd.its another great computer. You'd probably not go wrong with either one.

tech use tables,

my Oceanic geo2 allows 2 gas mixes, so would work for simple tech, also does guage mode for when you use tables, and is relatively cheap.

Assuming you plan to do tech someday but not today, then any puter that does guage mode will work. the "tech" computers are expensive. :D

Do techies use hoseless transducers?

No...it is a failure point. The Petrel is a great option for someone transitioning to tech diving.

1. My personal view is that any computer I carry (I'm strictly OC) is a backup to the plan I ran on my topside computer and the custom tables I cut for the dive. I carry a SUUNTO HelO2 for that purpose.
2. I don't like underwater pressure transmitters (yet). They do seem to be getting more reliable, but today I prefer brass & glass for my SPG.
Rick

Technical computers can be used for recreational dives. You need the capacity to switch/track between multiple gas mixes and, optimally, some measure of refinement/adjustment to the parameters of your chosen algorithm (especially if you want your in-water computer/s to match your laptop planning software).

First step is to understand a little more about decompression theory - Mark Powell's excellent "Deco For Divers" is a great source for that. That'll give you some ideas when confronted with the bewildering selection of algorithm options.

Hoseless pressure gauges/transmitters aren't popular with technical divers. There are numerous valid reasons for this.

The cheapest option is a simple recreational computer that has a gauge mode. Most entry-level technical courses teach using fixed or custom tables/laptop software. Sadly, the Zoop doesn't offer that function, but many other relatively cheap computers do. You'll need two means of monitoring depth/time... so think eventual double purchase, whether analogue or digital gauges.

Petrel.

Right now all I have is an analog SPG, if I ever got a digital one I would still keep the analog for backup. No sense calling off a dive, that can cost as much as an analog SPG gauge. It would be nice to have all air usage automatically records as well as a low air warning. Those two are the main reasons I am looking for an air integrated. If a transducer does go I have the analog one as a backup. I have my Zoop on my wrist, SPG on a small HP hose that is connected to my inflator, and I keep my compass on a tethered retractor in my BC pocket. I hate long dangling consoles.

-Hostage

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom