Good Deal for Beginner Snorkel Package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemmy84

Registered
Reaction score
Aeris Velocity Full Foot Fins

Aeris Europa 4 Mask

Aeris Cuda Dry Snorkel

Aeris Mash Fin Bag

$100.00

By the way these fins do they adjust by size? Or do i have to choose a single size?

Thanks Fellow Snorklers and Scubaers

why full foot fins???

i always suggestion botties and open heel fins because we do alot of rock hopping to get to the water so the booties add great protection

cheers

Ahh you have a good point. The place I am snorkeling at is in the Philippines, this remote island has tons and tons of corals everywhere, i remember snorkeling their before there was no where to step because it was corals everywhere. Booties would seem like a better idea, also there isn't really big waves, just seems like calm water most of the time.

So any brand of booties would do? I saw $6.00 dollar ones at sports authority.

Lem

Also know what are good brands to buy? I want something that is not too expensive, we aren't going to do this stuff everyday, just like one-three times a year. But i don't want something cheap that will leak on me.

I'm also leaving next monday so I want to order everything today.

Just need good recommendations for a snorkel. I always see these ultra dry whatever snorkels.
Is this one good?
Totally Dry Snorkel, Snorkels, ScubaToys, Totally Dry Snorkel
Cheap and it says it does the same thing as the 40 dollar one.

Thanks for all your replies
Lem

Snorkellers don't always wear full-foot fins over bare feet, they often wear them with socks or booties. If you're purchasing socks or booties, put them on before you try on the fins for size. A good comfortable fit, not brand names, is the paramount criterion when selecting fins and masks.

Ahh, i wish there was a way to try out masks before buying it. Going to look for local diving stores around my area see if the will let me try things on.

Thanks for your input David

Lem:

Fins and masks are very personal items of gear.

There is a German Standard - DIN 7876 - for fin sizing, but it's not universally applied, so there's no telling whether an individual model of fin will fit you widthwise even if it's your size lengthwise. The only way to find out is to try them on, wearing booties if you intend using them for protection from rough terrain underfoot. As for fin type, I once went snorkelling at La Jolla Cove, a great snorkelling venue in Southern California. The snorkellers there happily and successfully wore every kind of fin: open-heel surfing fins with fixed straps, adjustable open-heel fins and full-foot fins with regular and long blades. The beauty of snorkelling is that "anything goes" when it comes to equipment. Scuba divers will tell you that you need big clunky open-heel fins, while freedivers will tell you that long-bladed carbonfibre-reinforced fins are necessary, but when they say this, scuba divers are really talking about scuba diving and freedivers are really talking about freediving. The important thing is that you feel comfortable with the fins you eventually choose and only you can determine that, not somebody else just speaking from their own experience and circumstances. If your fins are too loose and you are wearing them barefoot, you'll get blisters or the fins will fall off in a current. Too tight and you'll get cramp. Try them on.

As for masks, they will leak unless you find one with a skirt that seals against your particular face dimensions. When you try one on, press it against your face without using the strap, breathe in to create a vacuum and see whether the mask stays in place. If it doesn't it will leak. Submitting your future mask to this simple test is essential.

Finally, do remember that you will inevitably find fault with whatever you choose as your beginner's equipment. When you get to your snorkelling location, have a look at what your companions are wearing in the way of gear. Ask them why they made the gear choices they did. Check out the snorkelling equipment stores at your destination. Japanese manufacturer Gull makes some great snorkelling fins that are sold in the Far East, including the Philippines, but not in western countries. All this will be a valuable lesson if or when you decide to purchase better equipment for your next snorkelling trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom