http://www.diveheart.org/

Good cause for divers who care about other divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't eat lobster. Too rich for my taste. But these people are no different than those who are exploited in Bangladesh sweat shops. They don't choose to work like that. They have no other options. But some don't care about that. Same type of people who don't care about buildings falling on innocent women and children. Not my problem they say. Good for them.

Just please don't mock the efforts of those who do care.

Better to hide in their little Utopias where everyone has a choice of where they live and what they do to eat. Better to not face the inhumanity of the species they are a part of.

We all should just turn our heads and look the other way shouldn't we? Maybe those who don't care have it better? Maybe they are less likely to be stressed over the slaughters, exploitations, and crimes against man and nature? They don't have to worry about starvation and suffering of any species because they are the ones that matter to them.

Maybe I should have just ignored my late wife's needs due to the ravages of muscular dystrophy? I don't have it. Maybe I should just ignore all the lessons in caring and compassion ten years with her taught me? Maybe I should just bury my head in the sand and stop writing essays, presentations, and articles on dive safety and training? Maybe I should not continue working on my next book dealing with more of what the first covered?

Nah. Can't do that. If I did I know the only thing I would want to do when I looked in the mirror was blow my damn brains out in disgust for the cold, unfeeling, uncaring, self absorbed monster I would see that allowed injustice to go on and say nothing. I don't know what I can do Mike but as soon as a I have a free moment I will try to do something. Even if it's only to share it on Facebook. But I suspect it will be more.

Do some research on their culture...many of them have and still do make the decision that city life and education is the better way of life. Saying they have no other options is horse dung. The facts don't support that stance.

Do some research on their culture...many of them have and still do make the decision that city life and education is the better way of life. Saying they have no other options is horse dung. The facts don't support that stance.

I can only work from the discussions I have had with people in other countries. If you do have some facts noting other options for this particular place, I'd love to see the research. When I've spoken to people in similar situations, there weren't other options.

Hi Joe,

So what is the answer? Do we as instructors fly out there to conduct por bono training for these folks? Quite frankly i think you underestimate the cognitive ability of these people. if they see that thier friends/relatives are dying in masses doing this type of work, and they continue to do it, THAT is a choice. They obviously know enough to know that hyperbaric treatment can help alleviate the sypmtoms that they feel, but they cant figure out how to read a dive table? They are advanced enough to embrace technology and utilize Scuba equipment, but not smart enough to adhere to worldwide available no-deco or even deco tables....BS. They choose to do what they do for the money.....not to feed thier families(they also farm). Dont assume that they are dumb....they arent. It is estimated that 5% of the adult male population of Miskito Indians are suffering from some form of diving disability. They know the risks, and they continue the lifestyle.

That is simplification by the way...not simplism. You sir are the one ignoring the fact that every human being on this planet is capable of basic comprehension.

Cheers

Hi Tom - I'm thinking you do give a crap since you took the time to reply.

I don't underestimate their cognitive ability at all. Neither does the author of the article or the other people mentioned. Quite the opposite. They clearly go from the assumption that this society can be taught what our society has already learned. The hard way I might add - the caisson workers who got bent in the United States and Britain in the late 1800's, who also continued to do that job despite seeing their friends and family crippled. So how about we spare the Miskito Indians decades of research and just tell them what we have already figured out? Change never comes easy in any society, so the idea of not buying Caribbean lobster will help move it along, similar to dolphin-free tuna catching and abusive child labor in parts of Asia.

I think your idea of traps is a great idea rather then these workers continuing to risk risking life and limb, provided sustainable catch limits are respected. I think you should go there and educate them on the use of traps. Take some time to talk to the chamber people while you're there too.

Back
Top Bottom