Good Boat Dive in the Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dborden

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a new zodiac, and am looking for a good place to break it in. I am looking for a location that has relatively low current, and that I can anchor up relatively shallow. Would love to hear a few of your recommendations, and also where to launch the boat out of.

Thanks!
Dan

Well, you're in Oregon, so it's a bit of a drive anywhere for you. But we did our first dives off our boat on the Bainbridge rock fingers. You can put in at the Alki boat ramp, and it's a short cruise north to Blakely Rock. The fingers are behind the rock, coming off the Bainbridge shore. There are buoys on two of them (the middle and deep ones) that you can tie off to. Just off the rock itself is another buoy, which marks a site called China Wall. None of these sites is very current-swept and they are all pretty good dives.

Across the little bay from the rock fingers is the wreck of the Boss as well. It's not much of a wreck, and pretty silty, but the effect is that you have at least four dives to choose from in a small area, all buoyed and none in current.

Thanks! That sounds like just what I am looking for!

If you like, let me know when you are coming up, and if there's room in your boat I could go with you and point out the sites, or if not, we could take our boat and raft on the buoys.

Thanks TSandM. I will let you know when we come up. I'm still working on getting my trailer modified to get work with the zodiac, and have a camping trip planned on the Oregon coast in a couple of weeks, so it might be a little while. I appreciate the offer!

Back
Top Bottom