Gonna be a grandpa again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Pleased to announce that my younguns goldie and bertha mated.:D Hey I didn't name em their ma did. Now don't get all riled up since goldie is also berthas dad.:huh: Her ma, blue,died giving birth to bert. And I reckon he just couldn't stand being without no more so he knocked up his daughter. I actually caught em goin at it today!:14: she just lay a minute and then he'd zoom up shakin like a leaf and shooting his stuff all over. Then she'd slide in and gather em up in her mouth. She'll most likely have her mouth shut now for a week and a half. She'll lose alot of weight and some of her scales will start to drop off. Her tail will get kinda ragged and just in general look like hell. Wii have to keep an eye on junior though, he's her brother, cause he'll be all over her if he gets the chance. Just comes right up and puts what looks like a big french kiss on her. I believe tho he's just tryin to get at them younguns. He did it with his ma so I reckon it won't bother him to go after his sister! By the way these are my african cichlids I'm talking about. This is not a christmas letter from the hills of__________ (insert state, region, town, village, patch, or whatever). Hope you all got a good laugh and I seriously don't need anymore of these. The tank is getting too small (55 gal).

That was good...i just thought you came from one of those States...sorry! now waht are african cichlids??

Right! They are fish. Mine happen to be very aggressive towards any that are not from the original family group or their offspring. In fact I've given up trying to introduce new colors. These are all gold except for the original female that was an electric blue. Even though each has a touch of blue on their fins and some spots on the heads of some they are all a deep rich gold color. At my fiances urging I've tried to introduce a couple yellows and another electric blue. Even put two gold ones in. This was while there were still only 6 in the tank. To no avail even following all the recomendations about leaving the light off for a time and changing the layout of the tank to keep them busy creating new territory. In each case except for the blue none lasted longer than 3 weeks to a month. The large male (Goldie) would chase and harrass them at every opportunity. Till finally he'd bump them or give em a bite on the back and within a day or so they'd be floating. He even killed three plecos that were of good size and were supposed to be compatible in that they were algae eaters, shy and usually remained out of reach when not feeding. The only scavengers I've been able to keep successfully are the raphael cats which have lots of spikes, appear to be armored and are strictly nocturnal. As well as being somewhat aggressive themselves. The only time I even see them is when I clean the tank and turn over some of the artificial structures to clean under them. Again I hope you all enjoyed this little spot. Jim

Very informative. Thanks for sharing! And congrats on the young 'uns!! :D

thanks for that info. congratulations grandpa! post pictures of the family

Bertha did not make it. A week without food was too much for her. Found her floating belly up on the bottom two days ago. No sign of any young yet. But bert showed up over a week after his ma died. And cichlids are good parents. Goldie is keeping the others away from the the side of the tank where she passed so it may be that there are some just too small or too smart to be seen yet.:06:

Awhhhhhh sorry to hear about the death. maybe she be swimming with the other fishies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom