Goliath needs a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone thanks again for the response and explination.

The idea behind doing the demo day is to actually get to try a dry suit in the water. I called, gave my dimensions and asked if they would have suits in my size to try, i was told there would be. I do not plan on buying a DUI just because i participate in the demo day. Now if i am really impressed with them then maybe...

I just checked out NES and will be giving them and DRiS a call tomorrow.

So far my thoughts have been that SCUBA skills have been extremely easy to learn, and imagine i will learn to use a drysuit very quickly.

I think the better question is this: are all the training dives happening at the quarry, or is there an offshore aspect?

A wetsuit in doubles will not "kill you" especially in an 85ft quarry, but it's freaking cold down there. Personally I would either wear a drysuit, or wear aluminum doubles.

tomfcrist All but 4 of the training dives will be in the Quarry, there will be 4 dives to finish the course off the NC coast.

I think you're in custom suit world, fortunately they aren't too difficult to come by or that expensive.

I'm 6'4", 280. 54" chest, 38" waist, 32" inseam. Not all that big, but an odd dimension, so nothing off the rack works.

It s because you have not tried a Whites Fusion (4XLPlus)
image.jpg

I am going to join in with those who say you should postpone your training until you get the dry suit issue worked out.

I, too, realized a dry suit was necessary when I started my tech training, and I got a dry suit for that reason. I was therefore learning to use a dry suit at the same time I was learning tech diving. I succeeded, but it was several steps short of ideal. What I should have done was get a dry suit and log a decent number of dives so that I was familiar with it before trying to learn the tech stuff. My life would have been much happier at that point.

I definitely would not be doing my tech training as a beginning dry suit diver with a rental suit. In fact, at that point in my training, any time I went into a training dive with unfamiliar gear turned out to add some level of challenge to the dive.

AJ, that thing fits like a trash bag on me, with the fusions you can't be on the small side of that chart without having the thing fit like a trash bag. Like backplates, they're the best choice for diveshops to have for rental gear, but at $1900 for the fusion bullet I'll save a couple hundred bucks and get a custom fit USIA.... It's only a $150 surcharge to have the suit custom cut, so comes out to $1550 for a custom cut suit that will last a lot longer than the fusion. I still have one that is 15years old and has over 1k dives on it. I bought it used 5 years ago and aside from replacing wrist and neck seals the suit looks basically brand new.

Sooooo i went against the advice to wait. Am now taking Tech and bought a custom drysuit. The drysuit was easy to learn and the most difficult portion of the tech classes to me are the dive prep work for gas calculations. I'm glad i decided to go ahead with my original plans and not put it off any longer..

Sooooo i went against the advice to wait. Am now taking Tech and bought a custom drysuit. The drysuit was easy to learn and the most difficult portion of the tech classes to me are the dive prep work for gas calculations. I'm glad i decided to go ahead with my original plans and not put it off any longer..

Excellent, good to hear, enjoy the journey.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What DS did you get?

What DS did you get?

I ended up getting a DUI CLX 450, very pleased with it so far. The measuring was the hard part.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 04:44 PM ----------

Thanks, I am enjoying it so far and only expect it to get more exciting from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom