goldcore vs titanuim vs "regular"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between the goldcore, titanium and "regular" wet suit ? thanks:)

Hi jacek,
No ignorance at all. We all come to the boards to learn,and to supply info, ifwe can.

A "regular" wetsuit is neoprene covered with fabric (stretchy nylon?) inside and out.
A "Goldcore"Suit is one made by Henderson, which has that same fabric on the outside, but features a slick lining on the inside. The lining (allegedly) provides a better seal with your skin, which helps to limit the movement of water inside the suit. The "gold" in the name refers to the color of the lining, not the metal. Other manufacturers have since come out with similar type linings. [ BTW, I have a Goldcore suit, and I really like it.]
A "titanium" suit refers to a suit that has titanium film(?) or threads(?) woven/layered/bonded to the neoprene, (again, allegedly) to provide increased warmth. I have heard that this claim is just advertising hype.
I have also heard that some companies are/are planning to use "titanium" colored linings-a la "gold core" , but I haven't seen any support for that .

Hope this was helpful,
Good Luck,
Mike

Well goldcore is the proprietary name for the high-end neoprene from Henderson - it has a gold colour but is a slippery membrane coating the inside of the neoprene suit thus allowing ease of donning, quick drying, and a tight seal throughout the suit (warmer than standard neoprene). There are a few other manufacturers with something similar but not in a gold colour. Titanium came up a few years ago and basically metallic threads are woven into the material to reflect heat lost back towards the body (however there may be water between the neoprene and body aka wetsuit) - great theory and elevated prices but not much better than normal neoprene. Standard neoprene is the rubbery air filled material in various thicknesses sandwiched between synthetic material. Also there is hyperstretch (henderson) and hydrostretch (bare) that is super stretchy neoprene for a more custom fit or people that yo-yo in weight due to diet/lifestyle :D
Crushed neoprene is proprietary to DUI drysuits and is neoprene subjected to high pressure and heat to squish but not burst the air bubbles in the neoprene to come up with a super durable material - there is also a compressed neoprene...... blah, blah, blah

The most important factor in the ability of a wetsuit to keep you warm is the prevention of water circulation between the suit and your skin. I have a wetsuit made of the same material as Henderson Gold and it seals very well and keeps me very warm. Having said that, if I had a 'normal' neoprene wetsuit but had the 'gold' neoprene as seals in the neck, arms and legs it would keep me just as warm since these are the areas of water entry/exit.

Just be careful of the 'gold' material. Due to its nature they can not stitch it so its double/triple glued on the inside and stitched on the outside (which normally has a nylon layer - mine has lycra). The seams can come apart if the suit is abused. Also, the inside of the suit is prone to rips from long toe/finger nails/ jewelry, etc, so you should take care when donning/doffing. I've had to hit mine with AquaSeal a few times. My next suit is going to be 'regular' neoprene which can be stitched inside & outside for seam strength, with arm/leg/neck seals to prevent water entry/exit - best of both worlds in a wetsuit (IMHO).

The titanium fad is just a fad IMO. Titanium is a metal - if you expose a titanium sheet to a flame and place your hand on the other side you're gonna burn. Metals CONDUCT heat, not insulate. The idea has no theoretical validity as they suggest - sure, it will reflect light when polished but not heat in any efficient manner. If metals such as this worked, those new shiny titanium mufflers on the late model motorcycles would never get hot on the outside ... ever touch a titanium motorcycle muffler? :) Same with an aluminum radiator - this works because it conducts heat .. .not insulate. Nonetheless, there probably isn't enought titanium in the suit to really make a large difference, which is why there is little/no difference between a 'titanium' suit vs. 'regular' neoprene suit in warmth.

HTH

I've had my Goldcore for about 8 dives, all in Fl springs. I Dove Peacock Spring in Sunday for 80 minutes & the only time I got a slight chill was when I surfaced & stopped moving/finning. I have a full 1 pc 3mm jumper & a 5mm shorty/farmer john that fits over the jumer. I stayed rosty toasty in 70 degree water.

I also have a Akona 5mm hood. You can have the best westsuit $ can buy, but if you don't keep your head warm, you're gonna get COLD
Ok... correct me if I'm wrong... You lose nearly 80% of your body heat from your head. If it's not protected, there goes the insulation your suit was saving for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom