Gold Cyklon . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always like the Cyklon second stages, but I never cared for the unbalanced Cyklon first stages. So I ended up using a Conshelf first stage that can be easily adjusted to 165 psi IP and it all works great. If I ever dive a single hose regulator again as my primary (not stage or pony), that would probably be that combination I would use.

In my to-do project list, I have tried to reverse engineer the second stage spring and I have found several springs (from a commercial spring company), that I have to try. My goal is to try to modify the Cyklon second stage to play well with the standard lower IP (of about 135 to 140 psi). I would love to use a Cyklon as an octopus for my double hose regulator. I don't even use them as pony or stage bottle regulators because I don't want to have odd IP regulators on hand if I need to swap stages in the field.

I always like the Cyklon second stages, but I never cared for the unbalanced Cyklon first stages. So I ended up using a Conshelf first stage that can be easily adjusted to 165 psi IP and it all works great. If I ever dive a single hose regulator again as my primary (not stage or pony), that would probably be that combination I would use.

In my to-do project list, I have tried to reverse engineer the second stage spring and I have found several springs (from a commercial spring company), that I have to try. My goal is to try to modify the Cyklon second stage to play well with the standard lower IP (of about 135 to 140 psi). I would love to use a Cyklon as an octopus for my double hose regulator. I don't even use them as pony or stage bottle regulators because I don't want to have odd IP regulators on hand if I need to swap stages in the field.
Newer Cyklon 1st stages (like the 3950) are balanced and you can adjust the IP in seconds provided the vodka environmental cap in off (almost no one uses them anyway).

IMG_2509.JPG

I am no one . . .

Aside from its intended use, the cap also serves to keep detritus from entering the top of the valve housing, especially while doing nasty crap in harbors; and it unclips in seconds . . .

View attachment 628921

I am no one . . .

Aside from its intended use, the cap also serves to keep detritus from entering the top of the valve housing, especially while doing nasty crap in harbors; and it unclips in seconds . . .
Nice, I have one too but no fancy clip, just zip tie.

Nice, I have one too but no fancy clip, just zip tie.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when they went with a chincy little cable tie, after so many years. That original clip fits snuggly and has never posed an issue.

The old models occasionally show up on eBay; and there was a version with a screw, as well . . .

The older Cyklons had "metric" G1/8" threads and a rounded top valve housing cover with the two secondary springs beneath them.
The next evolution had a more trapezoid shape, with a larger adjusting screw and only one spring, but maintained the valve housing main body from previous design with 1/8" threads.
Eventually the valve housing was modified to have modern 3/8 & 7/16" threads.
One could convert the old style to the new boxier version if one wanted, as the parts are interchangable if you swap the entire top.

upload_2020-12-25_12-19-34.png
upload_2020-12-25_12-21-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-25_12-17-38.png
    upload_2020-12-25_12-17-38.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 63
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom