Gold Cyklon . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
An old friend of mine, has amassed one of the largest private collections of vintage scuba gear, dating from circa 1950-on, that I have ever seen; and he has one helluva enviable workshop.

As a recently-retired engineer, he said that he had always admired the storied evolution of skin diving equipment, from “the nearly experimental and daring, which wouldn't satisfy the f**king nanny state," to the items that we now so take for granted and can readily order online.

One of his more recent items, in terms of manufacture, was a gold-plated regulator from 1993, a "commemorative" Poseidon Cyklon 300, limited to 500 (his was engraved within the "two-fifty-something range," at his insistence), in a nice teakwood box, along with a scroll of sorts, written by the late Ingvar Elfström, the company's founder, related to the regulator’s long lineage, dating back, essentially, to 1958; that, and, for whatever reason, a souvenir tie tack?

From that document, I learned that my first, inherited regulator, was the so-called "Cyklon Super," the first 300 bar regulator, from 1972 -- which still sees some action, on a pony bottle.

I recall that the old Bamboo Reef Dive Shop, South of Market, in SF, had one of the gold 300s on display, gathering dust, for years.

Anyway, he finally admitted that he had never hooked it up to anything, since he obtained it in the mid-1990s at an estate sale; and, over an evening of gin and tonics; a grilled ling cod, that I had pronged; several reckless rounds of darts, and social distancing, we dug up a yoke; an LP hose; and an old 72 from his garage.

After some twenty-seven years, the IP was still spot-on and remained, steady, at 11.5 bar; and he said that it breathed well.

I guess that it is now officially "used" gear . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 201
absolutely completely "used" now as ir is well known that gin tonic vapours destroy everything :)
Your friend should give it to you to keep himself safe :) :)

Pretty cool. Would be a lot cooler if the second stage was metal. Can’t believe they cheaped out on that with such a special edition.

Pretty cool. Would be a lot cooler if the second stage was metal. Can’t believe they cheaped out on that with such a special edition.

I thought so too; but, by the time that the Cyklon 300 was eventually discontinued, they had already moved to the other, "lighter" second stage, eight years before, in 1985.

I still prefer the metal second stages; still don't find them too heavy . . .

@Bigbella if you ever find a Poseidon double hose, please let me know! need one for my collection. Just don't tell @Luis H first because he's technically ahead of me in the line when someone finds one

I thought the metal second stages are still available. Yes, I agree that this should be at least a metal second stage. The first stage is also not from the 300 Bar unit. That looks like a 5000 psi model (the newer model).

@Bigbella if you ever find a Poseidon double hose, please let me know! need one for my collection. Just don't tell @Luis H first because he's technically ahead of me in the line when someone finds one

Yeah... don't try to cut in line... You have never even dove a single stage regulator :rolleyes:

I thought the metal second stages are still available. The first stage is also not from the 300 Bar unit. That looks like a 5000 psi model (the newer model).

Metal second stages are still available, for the Cyklon 5000, though the typical one is plastic-bodied; and you're mistaken, the first stage of that gold Cyklon is most definitely a 300 -- a 2940 model, if I am not mistaken. I have several of them, as well as the more familiar-looking, 2980 . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2497.JPG
    IMG_2497.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 175
Yeah, that is not a 5000. It just doesn't look like any of my old 300. I don't have anything that new, with hex key plugs (Allen wrench) with modern standard threads and O-rings. And the diaphragm nut is also a newer style than what I have. All my 300 have the older plugs with internal nylon washer seals (no O-rings).

I still think they should have used a metal second stage body with a 300? But it would have involved more plating, adding to the cost.

All my 300 have the older plugs with internal nylon washer seals (no O-rings).

Yeah, I have a couple with the nylon seals as well; and it's truly amazing that they've lasted so very long . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 162

Back
Top Bottom