Going too fast too soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purple Jos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I guess I am just looking for thoughts on this.

My husband and I did our OW class back in September 2009, then the AOW in October 2009.
We are now hopelessly addicted to diving.

This year we have taken the PADI Equipment class, Nitrox class, First Aid\CPR class, and next week the Rescue Diver class.
We also have PADI Wreck diving and an Altitude diving classes scheduled later this year.

I guess the question is… Are we going to fast? Are we taking on to much?

We work on our buoyancy each dive and get better every time.
We work on skills when we dive, like regulator recovery and mask recovery.
We try to practice 1 skill a dive – I want to get everything in to muscle memory.
Each time we learn something new, we incorporate it into what we are already doing, adding to our knowledgebase.

I, for one, applaud your enthusiasm.

Learning is great ... I highly encourage it.

However, looking at your profile I have to wonder how many "non-class" dives you've managed to do.

I'd recommend taking some time off from classes and work on getting comfortable with the skills you've already been taught ... learn how to plan and execute your own dives without the supervision of an instructor. Taking too many classes with little or no time in between for "fun dives" can lead to a dependence on someone else to supervise your involvement.

The ocean's a wonderful teacher ... give it a chance to help you learn some of the differences between a class environment and the real world. At this point, that's probably a more valuable education than signing up for another class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

first of all congratulations!, As long as you are confident and comfortable with your pace of learning you should be fine. If you have any problems or questions,post them here or contact the folks that you certified with,all would be more than happy to give you input

As long as you are actually diving then I don't see an issue-well, I don't see an issue either way because its your money. I would only have a problem if you said one of two things;

1. We got certified last year year and now we are starting our instructor course.
2. We spend so much time taking classes that we don't really have time to dive.

If you want the class and can afford it-go for it. Just remember to dive as often as you can.

I applaud you for continuing to improve on your diving abilities and encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. Please keep in-mind that the c-card is a visible reminder that you have met the standards set by one particular agency for the conditions in-which you were trained in (or better). Perhaps this is a bit harsh, but because you have the card doesn't necessarily mean that you can do the dive. Experience remains the best teacher in many cases.

It seems to me that some agency standards are a bit "on the light side" for some conditions. A diver can quickly find that they are "over their head" regardless of how many cards they happen to have. I'm not suggesting that you fall into this category, but there are many who are convinced (because of what they believe the cards mean) that they are ready for any situation and quickly find-out otherwise.

I suggest that you also seek training from different instructors, from various agencies. Training philosophies are different and wide exposure is also another avenue in-which to learn.

Good luck with your personal voyage; I wish you and your husband safe diving.

My husband and I did our OW class back in September 2009, then the AOW in October 2009.
We are now hopelessly addicted to diving.

This year we have taken the PADI Equipment class, Nitrox class, First Aid\CPR class, and next week the Rescue Diver class.
We also have PADI Wreck diving and an Altitude diving classes scheduled later this year.

+1 to Knotical and Bob (Grateful Diver)

From my perspective I would have followed with all the spots me and my buddy had dived, not classes where an instructor was calling the dive.

I would, however, take the Altitude course if you are going to dive the mountain lakes, I would have had a less interesting time at Lake Paulina if I knew what I was doing.

Great to see another diver enjoying the water.

Bob
-----------------------------
Not pushing the envelope just poking at it on occasion.

I'm going to echo Bob. Continuing education is great, and your enthusiasm is wonderful. Just make sure you're doing some independent diving in between classes, so you can really integrate the skills, and also so that you have some unstressed time to really enjoy the environment in which you are immersed.

If I had any other recommendation, it would be to take whatever kind of marine life ID class is available where you are -- learning more about the animals I saw really enriched my Puget Sound diving!

I guess the question is… Are we going to fast? Are we taking on to much?

For my part I can echo what the others said and I think your approach and your drive to improve is commendable. Experience is what new divers lack the most so go get it, be safe, have fun and all that....

... However, I'm primarily curious *why* you are asking this question. Could you go into that?

R..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom