Going to video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, here's the scoop. I'm getting an itch to move from digital stills to video. I know absolutely nothing about video (underwater specifically) and need as much guidance as I can get. I am budgeted so to speak and have done some research, but:

I am looking at a JVC MG-77 and Ikelite 6014.04 housing. Has anybody used this stup to give some pointers or would you recommend a different setup?

I'm ready now.

Barry

I've never looked at this particular combination so just some subjective comments after a quick review.

Ikelite is certainly a quality housing. But I don't think the "SuperEye viewfinder magnification" will be of much use since the camcorder doesn't have one....

I quickly looked at the camcorderinfo.com review and the thing that jumped out at me immediately was the abysmal low light performance they measured - 15lux. Sony's latest HDV camcorders by comparison claim 2lux. This would be a big problem in low light situations and would require lights for good results.

Another thing I noted from the comments at the bottom of the page is that the camcorder goes into powersaving 5mins. after being on standby. That could be pretty unwieldy in a housing and might cause you to miss the unexpected "great shot" while the camera powers back up.

Some general comments: Most u/w videographers use Sony gear. So more manufacturers provide housing options for the various models. Sony just introduced several new HDD models, all have larger capacity than the JVC. On a long trip (liveaboard?) it might be possible to fill 30GB's of HDD then you'd have to dump it all to a laptop or some other storage device.

I also recommend to anyone that they consider HDV if it's even remotely possible within their budget. Guesstimating yours it could be for an extra $5-700 or so. Everything is going HD, the output of this camera on an HDTV set will likely be disappointing.

Also, Ikelite housings are pretty model-specific. And that's not a new camcorder so it's doubtful that their current models will match the control locations in the future. Buying one of the affordable electronic models - TopDawg, Ocean Images etc. may provide a better upgrade path.

my .02

Thankyou. That's the kind of objective information I am looking for. You mention Sony as being the most popular. If I were to give a ball park figure of, say, $2000, what camera and housing would you recommend I look at. Lighting will come later.

I get the idea about storage if on a live-aboard. Just got back from a week on the Nekton Pilot. Seems everybody had a laptop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom