Going to Venice on Mon the 16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehlbly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are coming over on Mon to dive the beach for the 1st time. 3 exp and 3 novice newbie’s. We want to try a beach dive. Is anyone going to be around on Mon or any tips on the best area for a 1st time dive. Also someone mentioned a wreck that is accessible from the beach in Bradenton. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I like going to venice public beach due to the parking and showers. Usually I swim out about 20 yards past the no boat bouyes and go down makes for about 150 yard swim I think. You can also go to Sharkys which is about 3 miles south lots of parking but the walk with the gear on might get to you.

Bradenton (sugar barge) is nice but I spent most my air trying to find pieces of the wreck.

You can expect viz to be anywhere from 3 ft to 7 feet at it's very best in both places. I always enjoy Venice and have always gone out at the public beach. There is some artificial reefs in between the 2 bouyes about 10 yards past. They are about 5 feet apart and have some good size hog fish and some nice grouper. I always run into it and look around to see anything new. If you go to the south of the markers you won't see the Artificial reef but not sure how far north it runs.

I'm sure you will get better info from someone else but I hoe it helps.

Take buddy lines and collection bags.

The Sugar Barge (Regina) is an interesting wreck, it's located literally across the street from Sea Trek. They are friendly folks and happy to talk with you about the wreck.

The Sugar Barge is a fun little dive. Swim straight out to the middle buoy. Take a reading at about 11 o'clock while looking straight out away from the beach (can't remember the degrees). Drop down the line and you'll find the memorial. Swim on the above heading and you should find the major part of the wreck, which is located about half way or so toward the left-most buoy. Keep your eyes open and swim carefully as there are a few pieces of iron laying around out there.

Lots of fish, soft sponges, and a few resident stone crabs (which are likely a claw short these days!)

Stay safe!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom