Going to test drive a Larson 235 Hamilton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of it, is this new or used? If this is new, I would suggest something different. N

Larson is not a highly regarded brand in my opinion--that is why.

Does it have raw water cooling since it is an inboard/outboard (strike 1), how is the inner liner joined to the outer hull. How is the top decks fastened. Is there plywood and other wood all over? Just not my style of boat anyways. If you want a cabin/cuddy boat for diving something like a Boston Whaler Conquest or similar models from Grady White or others. Most Larsons I have seen have been rotting heaps of mildew, make excellent dive sites though. N

I think it looks like a fine boat. I have no personal experience with Larson's so I can't give you any specific good or bad points about them.

Raw water cooling isnt bad as long as you keep it in fresh water. 99% of the boats here in OK use it. My boat uses it and is 23 years old.

Most boats have wood in their construction. I agree that "no wood" is good; but having wood doesnt make it bad either. Just make sure the wood is sealed. So of course you need to be looking under and inside of compartments to check.

Probably just need a good telescoping ladder for the swim deck/flatform. Mine should be coming in today. It colapses and flips up onto the swim deck when not in use, then becomes a 3 step ladder for climing out of the water.

Personally, I LOVE cuddys. Only because I can't afford a boat big enough to have a FULL cabin! I won't buy another boat without one.

FD

Which ladder did you get?

Also, what are the Cons about Salt water for a raw water cooling engine and whats the best way to maintain that? I would guess just rinse with fresh water after a salt water trip?

Dude, your set on it. Notice the Oklahoma post about a "lake" and freshwater. Your talking ocean best I thought. No, saltwater running around inside an inboard -outboard is not generally considered good. Unlike outboards which were designed for it these things were not.
Most quality boats do not use wood especialy as decking and all that. There should be a hull and a inner fiberglas liner bonded to the hull. There should be foam and or structural fiberglass stringers inside that hull. The top deck that forms the cuddy or cabin should also be bonded to the lower hull/liner assembly. This is all done so that when making way in rough water that often occurs in oceans as opposed to lakes the boat does not shake apart. I could be wrong but I bet that Larson is all wod decking and everything is screwed together and then covered with cheap carpet and vinyl.

That is exactly the type boat that will soon be in significant disfavor with high fuel costs and it looks like the prototypical hole in the water into whcih to dump money and which will cause you to become a future "non-boater" who will respond to such question with statements like---never buy a boat.

You might notice that almost all saltwater boats suitable for diving and fishing--offshore-- and whatever in the 15 o 30 foot size range are outbaord powered.

Good luck with that vinyl and plywood boat, see you on the bottom, my sonar should pick it up real nice. N

Nemrod:
Most quality boats do not use wood especialy as decking and all that. There should be a hull and a inner fiberglas liner bonded to the hull. There should be foam and or structural fiberglass stringers inside that hull. The top deck that forms the cuddy or cabin should also be bonded to the lower hull/liner assembly. This is all done so that when making way in rough water that often occurs in oceans as opposed to lakes the boat does not shake apart. I could be wrong but I bet that Larson is all wod decking and everything is screwed together and then covered with cheap carpet and vinyl.

You seem to be much more boat savy than myself. What I know about boats I mainly learned from my own. It's an '83 Sea Ray cuddy. The way MY boat is constructed is with a glass hull, and plywood stringers and bulkheads. After the plywood was installed, it was glassed over the surface. Thus sealing it against moisture and bonding it to the hull. The only thing screwed in my boat is the interior trimming.

I take it that many boats don't have this in construction?

As for the use of the Larson boat, I didn't want to assume a use loacation. I wanted to let him know that the I/O design was fine if he wanted to use it on lakes.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom