Going to Kauai, HI July 3rd till 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RangerZo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
a buddy and i are going to be in Kauai for a week. he is working on his AOW and nitrox. and i have my rescue card and am working towards divemaster and will be completed before our trip. Any Tips or Info would be greatly appreciated or if you live/visit there during our stay and want to go diving just pm me. Thanks

Hi RangerZo:

I have spent several month long stays on Kauai over the past few years. (We have relatives living there and stay with them.) There is great diving there. I have only been there in the winter, so you will probably have more options. Try SeaSport Divers in Koloa for a charter boat. At least one trip to Sheraton Caverns is warranted. Ask about Niihau trips. They are only offered in the summer.

You will get more replies if you ask a moderator to move this thread to the Hawaii 'Ohana forum.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to the Hawaii 'Ohana forum.

thanks all. this my first post so sorry about the location. i did my research and what we were thinking was to do a boat dive or two and rent tanks for the week to do more shore dives to cut on the cost. i know we can rent a guide for the shore dives but i dont know if it is really needed.

Hi RangerZo:

Koloa Landing is a good shore dive on the south shore. Huge schools of fish, Sea Turtles, etc. Also, in summer Tunnels Beach on the north shore. Seasport Divers will have a map of the shore snorkeling and diving sites. There are many excellent snorkeling spots - no tanks needed.

Ranger Zo, I'll be there June 26 - July 9 and would love to hook up with you guys for some shore dives. I'm also signed up with Seasportdivers for their Niihau trip July 6th if you would like to join me. I checked and there is plenty of room on the boat today, but they say it will fill up fast. I'm staying at the Westin Princeville and can drive anywhere. Rescue certified with 170 dives, mostly shore in So.Cal. Let's exchange contact info. My cell is (818)482-1220. And my e-mail address is richard4ster@gmail.com. I should have a good feel for the area by the time you guys arrive.

Last edited:
Just back from Kauai, dove Tunnels w/ Jeanette from Fathom 5, good spot. Good shave ice right next door to their shop as well.Get to tunnels early for parking.

Tunnels is good spot for a guide but if you choose otherwise - get a verbal orientation of the site at least. A couple of the tubes get a little challenging if you get off the normal path. Also - current can rip up there especially in the pm. The entry/exit is the same spot. If the current starts to rip you have to travel a good distance back up current to the exit. Otherwise you have to crawl out over the reef for a long distance to get to shore. Naturally many days are mellow but as always it is good to be cautioned about some of these things.

Koloa is a relatively protected bay and north/south navigation which makes it easy to dive without a guide. Essentially a horse shoe underwater you can use natural navigation pretty easy there. At the same time I have had people for years say there is "not much to see" there. ??????? With a guide you are sure to see Frogfish, lionfish, leaf scorpions, devil scorpions, dragon morays, harlequin shrimp, cleaner shrimp, etc...

Maybe consider a guided dive there then rent the rest of the time? You can blow 4-5 tanks exploring there easily.

Hope this helps a bit.

Water has been awesome. Excited for you!

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom