Going to Grand Cayman JUNE 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:cheer:
Hi I am heading down to Cayman for the first time. I am staying at Treasure Island. I need some advice. Need a dive operator that is reputable and not too expensive. I definitely want to dive in stingray city.
Also, I heard the food is very expensive. Should bring my own? I want to also do some deep sea fishing...has anyone done that down there?
Anything else I should know? I like to sightsee and shop also. Do the vendors bargain with you on prices like they do in Cozumel?
I would also like to rent a car and drive around the island on one day. What are the "must sees" on the island??
Thanks, :gorgeous:
-MissAmberDiva-

If I remember correctly, Treasure Island's on 7 mile beach and about a mile and a half north of Georgetown, right? If so, then

There's a supermarket a couple of miles north of you on 7 mile beach. Prices are OK, not bad. They had an in-store bakery, deli, etc.

And another one (I didn't go into) a mile or so south of you, if I recall. (I didn't go into that one).

Driving may be a real test of your adaptability and ability to focus -- folks in the Caymans drive on the "wrong side" of the road (wrong to yanks). I find it best to rent a car with the driver's seat on the wrong side (puts the stick shift in your LEFT hand, etc.) -- it helps remind me that I should be keeping the LEFT side of the car near the curb)

Enjoy,

Treasure Island is along the Seven Mile Beach area. There are numerous operators, and rates will vary somewhat. One of our contributors here on the board works that end of the island at Neptune's Divers By all means check them out, as the rates posted on their website are quite competitive for Cayman.

Deep sea fishing is offered by many operators. A local guy runs Island Style Charters out of the East End (opposite end of island from where you'll be). He regularly brings in an impressive catch. Drop a priveate message if you want his contact info.

Food can be expensive. There is a large Foster's Food Fair (an IGA grocery) right by the airport. You can probably see it out your window as the plane lands. Dining out runs the gamut from reasonable to outrageous. Ask your dive guides for economical recommendations.

I agree that Neptune Divers is good; I used Bob Soto's while staying at Treasure Island. They were o.k. but the boats got a little crowded. Regarding bringing your own food, I always do when I go out the country because I'm hungry every 2 hours and in Grand Cayman that can put a big hole in my pocket. Ptotein bars, beef jerky and dried fruit helped me out in between breakfast lunch and dinner. Also, I think on Fridays, all the bars offer free buffet during happy hour which can easily be made into a meal... the divemasters and locals alerted us on that and do it themselves every Friday as well. One place only a couple block's walk from Treasure Island is Fidel Murphy's (an Irish Pub). Have Fun.

Diva, check out www.gotocayman.com , there's alot of good info on it. You should be able to find answers to all your questions. Have fun!!

Don Foster's is a good operation. They offer multi dive packages and run stingray city dives daily from Snug Harbor by the Hyatt. They have a main dive shop down town as well as a shop dive shop at the Comfort Inn. They offer free shuttle to and from the main dive shop. Additionally, the area in front of the main location is a nice shallow shore dive (25 ft) on the wreck of the Cali as well as numerous coral formations and they throw in unlimited shore dives (and free T shirt) with the packages that start at $120 US for 2 x 2tanks. However, they do not offer nitrox.

Hi,
I know you will have a great time in Cayman. I use to live there for 6 months. I hope I can help. There are quite a few dive operations on the island. Most are about the same price and most are very good. Treasure Island has their own dive operation. I have never dove with them but they had a good reputation when I was there. It may be very convenient for you since they are on site. My favorite dive operation is the one at Sunset House. It may or may not be as convenient for you. They are located south of town. They may pick you up at the hotel. The beach diving there is awsom. If you love tunnels dive Devils Grotto. It is a beach dive located just south of town, you dive out of the Eden Rock dive center. Not much coral or fish but it is fun to swim through the tunnesl.

Stingray city is a MUST. Be sure you go to the right one, for divers. There is also a shallow Stingray City. Only 3 feet deep and for snorkeling.

The north end has very dramatic walls so you do need to be experienced. Along seven mile beach (which is only 5.5 miles) is where most of the dives are done. Lots of wrecks! I love the Balboa.

Treasure Island is great. Right in the middle of everything if you like night life. You can just walk around. It is very safe.

Yes, it can be very expensive. Check to see if your room has a fridge. If you like to drink, that is what will add up. A few years ago the gov. imposed a liquor tax which almost doubled the price of drinks. Like any place if you eat at all the tourist, fancy places it will cost you. If you are budgeting there is always ways around it. They have the Burgerking, Pizza Hut and Subway. Not as romantic but it helps to cut back. Ask the dive crew about places to eat. I could give you more suggestions but I am traveling and don't have my Cayman stuff with me.

There is no bartering in Cayman. What you see is what you pay. Prices go up on days when the Cruise ships are in. Keep in mind that almost everything is closed on Sundays. Even the tourist stores. Caymanians are very religious. Do not wear bikini top and shorts shopping, although the folks from the cruise ships do it on occasion the locals are offended.

A day drive around the island is fun, not alot to see. The Turtle Farm is fun.

When are you going? If you want more information I can get it to you when I return, Sunday.

Take care,
Kristy

Thanks Kristy-
I am going down there on june 27 and leaving on the 4th of july. i have had several people tell me to dive with don foster's. they have unlimited shore diving with every package. maybe I will try them. I still haven't decided yet. also i keep being told that i have to book it now. i would rather wait until i got there, but if i have to book now, I guess i will.
Amber:mean: :)

Back
Top Bottom