Going to get certified next month. What to do about mask, fins, snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatorsactions

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm pretty excited about joining a class next month to get certified. I need to provide my own mask fins and snorkel for the class though. What is the best way to go?

Get something relativity inexpensive say in the $150 range. For example: The premium mask fin snorkel package at divers-supply dot com (sorry I cannot post links yet :no: ).

or get something a little higher-end that might last longer or maybe I should say something I may be happier with in the long run? For example, Atomic Split fins, Atomic frameless mask and Aeris Cuda Dry Snorkel.

Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Getting gear that fits is much more important than worrying about the relative merits of specific brands and models when it comes to your first mask, fins and snorkel. In the case of fins, make sure the foot pockets match your foot dimensions precisely, not only lengthwise but also widthwise and height-wise. Fins that are too tight or too loose will cause cramps or blisters or even fall off. Try them on for size, bearing in mind you will probably want to wear them over booties. The same goes for the mask - make sure it stays on your face when you place it against your face without attaching the strap and inhale through your nose. Better still, try it out in the pool, checking there are no leaks. In the case of the snorkel, get something simple in the way of a J-shaped tube.

You will undoubtedly hear many people recommending specific brands and models, which accommodate all their needs. They aren't you and you are better off finding out for yourself what works best for you. Don't expect to be using for ever the same equipment you purchased when you first took up snorkelling or diving. With greater experience, you will know better next time round. That is a necessary learning curve for you and nobody's advice can short-circuit the operation. Good luck!

inexpensive sets are rarely a good deal, sure they are inexpensive, but its unlikely all the parts fit you properly and you'll be replacing parts of it and it will cost you more than spending money on the right stuff up front.

go to an LDS and find your mask there and buy it from them. there are literally thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of masks out there because everyone's face is different.

you will find lots of information on here about mask that work well for a lot of people. Atomic Frameless and Mares Demon or X-vision are a few of the common ones. I have all 3. I don't like the Atomic at all, the X-vision is very good, and the Demon is perfect. But all 3 are good mask, but one fits me better than the rest.

snorkels- get a cheap J-tube, or one with a simple bottom purge. The key is to find one that is reasonably low profile and has a comfortable mouthpiece.

fins- that is a long, long discussion that you will find more recommendations with both good and bad information backing them up. take a look about and see what you like. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT buy the Atomic Splits (they will fail, mine lastest 13 months, 1 month after the warranty expired), if you are dead set on Splits get good ones, ie the Foil Force Fin (the original split) or the Apollo Bio-Fin (best constructed rip off of the Foil Force)

I would get a 30 to 45 dollar mask(one that fits properly), get a pair of Aeries Duo Velocity split fins(most places closing them out @ ~ $50 a pair) & get a 10 to 15 dollar snorkle(of course color coordinating the mask & fins).....about a hundred bucks or less........nothing more is needed.....IMO

So I'm pretty excited about joining a class next month to get certified. I need to provide my own mask fins and snorkel for the class though. What is the best way to go?

Get something relativity inexpensive say in the $150 range. For example: The premium mask fin snorkel package at divers-supply dot com (sorry I cannot post links yet :no: ).

or get something a little higher-end that might last longer or maybe I should say something I may be happier with in the long run? For example, Atomic Split fins, Atomic frameless mask and Aeris Cuda Dry Snorkel.

Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you trust the facility where you are taking a class,why do you not trust them to purchase your gear there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom