Going to Doubles- Wing advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tobin-

I'll be ordering up a wing for doubles from you in the very near future. Right now I dive a DSS single setup- 26lb Torus wing, SS plate, and hog harness and I love it. In an effort to save some money I'd like to only purchase a new wing and hopefully one that I will be comfortable diving both double AL80's and Double HP100's in. I understand I'll probably want to pick up a lighter plate when I go to 100's but that won't be this year, right now I'll only be diving the 80s. I also have a single HP130 that I will adventually double but I understand diving HP130's and 80's with the same wing isn't really feasible.

I dive dry with a can light and a single AL80 now. I need 10lbs on a weight belt. A Torus 38 would probably be fine for the 80's but not good enough for the 100's (possibly with 1 stage in the near future). I've dove both the Torus and LCD wings and I really prefer the Torus. Will the Torus 42 be enough lift to dive 100s with an AL40/80 stage? If I have to I'll buy the Torus 38 for the 80s but I'd really like a wing to do double duty with. What do you recommend?

Thanks
-Nick

Change of plans, I'm think I'm going to go straight to the 100's

Please correct any of my numbers if they're wrong:

15lbs of gas in the X7-HP100s

+20 roughly for the exposure suit

+2-3 = 37/38

If I do add a stage adventually it'd be an addition 5 for an AL80 (or 2.5 for a AL40?) That puts the numbers pretty close. Sounds like the Torus 42 will do the trick?

Change of plans, I'm think I'm going to go straight to the 100's

Please correct any of my numbers if they're wrong:

15lbs of gas in the X7-HP100s

+20 roughly for the exposure suit

+2-3 = 37/38

If I do add a stage adventually it'd be an addition 5 for an AL80 (or 2.5 for a AL40?) That puts the numbers pretty close. Sounds like the Torus 42 will do the trick?

Forgive my delay in responding to your post from yesterday, I just missed it.

If you stick with your current exposure suit and the 2 x hp 100's you could use a 42 lbs wing, but you may want to consider the Torus 49.

It's not uncommon for divers moving to doubles to find that the longer exposures possible with doubles eventually requires more insulation, and more undies = more suit buoyancy.

+20 lbs for a drysuit on the low end of the expected range.

The Torus 49 also is shaped to put more lift near the divers shoulders, and this can be a benefit for new doubles divers who are often "heads down, hips up"

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, no worries about the delay it is the holiday weekend I'm just bored at work. How would that 49 do with double AL80s?

10lbs for gas
20-30 for exposure
+2/3

Should work out fine right?

Thanks Tobin, no worries about the delay it is the holiday weekend I'm just bored at work. How would that 49 do with double AL80s?

10lbs for gas
20-30 for exposure
+2/3

Should work out fine right?

A 49 is big for 2 x al 80's, but certainly doable. If you have to pick one wing you need to size it for the max suit + max gas volume.

OTOH the T-38 was designed specifically for 2 x al 80's in warm water.

Tobin

Sounds good, I won't be doing much warm water diving especially in doubles. I think I'm going with the 100's in which case I'll be placing my order later this week for the 49.

Change of plans again, I've decided to double the 130 I have. I just placed an order for the torus 57 and also so weight plates for my single tank setup. Thanks again Tobin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom