Going to Dema, which hotel or Air B n B?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are heading to Vegas for the Dema show for the first time. It appears the hotels jack up their prices this week. I will say I have never been to Vegas so a little excited. Am I better off getting an air B and B? I really don’t want to get a rental car either. Thoughts on stay and travel around this city? I would like to stay within walking distance. Also not sure on distance from the airport.

If you stay at a "Strip Hotel", there are very economical shuttles from the airport (IIRC about $20 round trip but that was almost 2 years ago).

The LV Convention Center is at the North end of what is traditionally considered the Strip. I would seriously consider the Sahara as a reasonably priced option. It was totally renovated a few years ago. It would be within walking distance (15-20 minutes). Be careful if something is "only a couple blocks away". A block in Las Vegas can be half a mile or more.

Hotel rates in Las Vegas do tend to climb dramatically (skyrocket) for the weekend so if you can wrap up what you need to do and check out by Friday, you could save hundreds of dollars. Most hotels also advertise a good rate, but the "fine print" will say something along the lines of "plus resort fee" or "Resort Fee not included", so watch out for that.

There is a monorail that runs past the convention center. That opens up some options a bit further away.
Cheap rooms in Vegas are gone. They have been putting the squeeze on the normal tourist and trying to cash in on the big spenders. It will be there fall.

For years I kept myself at a $100 a night cap for SEMA (another huge convention about 2 weeks prior) where hotels are sold out and charge weekend rates during the weekdays. That is gone. Have not been there in 3 years, prices were going high back then. So many have even started charging to park. What more incentive to stay away and not spend money. Was free Valet, now pay to self park.

There is a monorail that runs past the convention center. That opens up some options a bit further away.
Cheap rooms in Vegas are gone. They have been putting the squeeze on the normal tourist and trying to cash in on the big spenders. It will be there fall.

For years I kept myself at a $100 a night cap for SEMA (another huge convention about 2 weeks prior) where hotels are sold out and charge weekend rates during the weekdays. That is gone. Have not been there in 3 years, prices were going high back then. So many have even started charging to park. What more incentive to stay away and not spend money. Was free Valet, now pay to self park.
I forgot about the Monorail. That would bring Planet Hollywood, the Excalibur and even the Luxor into play.

Trick with the monorail, it’s so far back off the strip, that the overall time to places on the other side of the strip starts to creep up. To Luxor I figure 20 minutes to catch a train and make the trip, then walk the ridiculous length of MGM, then walk further to wherever you are going, it starts to add up.

Thanks guys. I ended up finding an air B and B near the trip for $74

Thanks guys. I ended up finding an air B and B near the trip for $74
Glad that you found what you were looking for. Have a great time in "Lost Wages"!

Even though you won't be on the Strip, you truly would be missing out if you don't go to it for at least a few hours. The fountain at the Bellagio is amazing and if they are still doing it, so is the Volcano in front of the Mirage (and both are free). If for no other reason, a trip to the Strip is worth it just to people watch. You will see it all.

DEMA discounted hotel rates were quite reasonable for those looking to book. At least one for $75/n and others under $100 on the strip. Likely requires early booking….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom