Going to Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salty_dog_68

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I just booked my first trip to Cozumel. Staying at the Coral Princess. I am looking for the low down on diving in Cozumel. What are the dive sites? Wrecks, reefs, walls? What are the best dive operators in the area? What is the one thing we should not miss in Cozumel? and finally What are the best tour operators to get you to the ruins? Anybody ever been to Cozumel and want to share....thanks in advance.

My first piece of advise would be to go to Can-Do Travel Guides Their maps cost about $12 with shipping and I promise that it will be the best $12 you spend toward your trip.

Be sure to check out the Cozumel forum on Scubaboard. I am sure that you will find most of your answers there.

Ruins, my vote would be to use Yukatreks in Playa del Carmen. They should be able to pick up up close to the ferry pier. Small groups and they see a lot more than just the ruins. You can find them on Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info under the trip planning tab.

Salty,
Lucky you. How long are you going to be in Coz? there are a lot of dive sites to chose. You can dive in Coz, or take a ferry to Cancun and do a cenote dive. Also if you have time, check out Chichen Itza. It is one of the 7 wonders of the world.
OK, as far as dive sites, I dove Palancar Deep and at Santa Rosa wall in Coz. Palancar is awesome. It is also one of the top dive sites in Coz, don't miss that one. I used Blue XTC. Fantastic outfit.

Also, you want to do some research before going? I bought a book called "The Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun and the Mayan Riviera : Comprehensive Coverage of Diving and Snorkeling". Check it out on Amazon . Only $1.08 plus S/H. Good book to read on the plane. Lots of good info on Coz, Cancun dive sites. Of course you can check out the cozumel threads here in SB.

Couple words of cautions. Are you going to rent a car? DON'T!!!!. Plenty of taxi and public transportation to chose. I made a mistake of renting a van. The Mexican polices know what rentals look like so they will try to pull tourist rentals over and demand money. My car got pulled over and the two Mexican polices wanted $200 or my driver license :cussing:!!!! Yep, so I forked it over. Anywoo, after got back to the US, someone told me I should have brought two wallets, one with only $20 in it and the other one with the rest of your money/paper. If they pull you over, pull the $20 wallet and said that's all you got, take it or leave it... .
Just use common sense and you should be safe over there. Enjoy, take lots of pictures and report when you get back.

Thanks for the responses. We will be there a week. Wasn't planning on renting a car and now that I heard from two separate soruces that the local policia extort the tourist who rent cars; i will most deffinately not rent a car. We usually walk or take regional public transportation when on vacation anyway. I am trying now to figure out how, in only one week, we will get to see all the ruins and dive sites we want. Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba, El cedral, the cenotes, santa rosa wall, el paso cedral, columbia reef, etc, etc...gonna be a busy week! thanks again!

Sounds like you might need to extend the trip a little.... Cheaper to stay long than to go back again, Although it would be something to look forward to I guess.

Have fun and be safe. Be sure to take some Pics for us muddy water divers.

Thanks for the responses. We will be there a week. Wasn't planning on renting a car and now that I heard from two separate soruces that the local policia extort the tourist who rent cars; i will most deffinately not rent a car. We usually walk or take regional public transportation when on vacation anyway. I am trying now to figure out how, in only one week, we will get to see all the ruins and dive sites we want. Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba, El cedral, the cenotes, santa rosa wall, el paso cedral, columbia reef, etc, etc...gonna be a busy week! thanks again!

It can be done, but you will be a wreck by the time your vacation is over. Take a look at the Tulum and Beyond tour by Yucatrek. You get the Tulum ruins, two cenotes (no diving) and a drop dead perfect Carib beach.

CI can be done in a day and it will be a very long day. Worth the time spent, CI is an incredible place.

If you want to do some cavern diving in the cenotes, you can use your last day for that trip to the mainland. Most of the cenote dives are very shallow enough, Angelina is an exception, to let you get by before you fly home. BTW, they are a nice way to rinse your gear after a week of salt water diving.

There one thing you have to remember when you plan your day. When you go to the mainland, you are at the mercy of the ferry's. That will add 3 hours for each round trip.

My favorite dive in the whole world is in Coz. Called Devil's Throat. Only for experienced and small groups. You enter a hole at about 60'. Great swim through that will dump you out over the wall at about 120'. Awesome feeling coming out through the wall. Dive along the wall for a bit the enter another swim through that leads to a giant cavern. There used to be a white coral cross growing on the wall, but I hear no more since the last hurricane. Continue on out to 60' then time for deco.

The Cenotes are another must while in Coz. Spen your time diving. Once you seen one ruin you have seen them all. Just my opinion.

The best shop on the island is Deep Exposure Dive Center - Cozumel Diving with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel 1-866-670-2736 They can take you to the Cenotes or drift diving in Coz and the Devil's Throat. Also ask them if they still remember Omar Gomez. He used to work with them, but I suspect he has moved on traveling around the world doing private charters. I learned more from this guy than any class you could ever take state side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom