Going to Bonaire in a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yossirom

Reaction score
hay my name is yossi and i'm new at this site
i'm going with a friend to a diving trip in a week and it will probebly be in bonire
can someone please tell me what kind of big fish can i see like :manta,sharks and more
this is my thing so mabay i should fly to somewhere else??? i'm i'm flying from the middle east so it is a long flight!
thanks
yossi

Yossi, welcome to ScubaBoard. No big fish in Bonaire, easy shore diving with beautiful reefs close to shore. Mostly small fish with an occasional turtle or Eagle Ray. If you dive the east side (rough windward side), you have a much better chance of seeing bigger fish including Nurse Sharks and Eagle Rays.

Don't go to Bonaire if that is your main interest, go if you want long, comfortable, and multiple dives.

Only big fish I saw in Bonaire were large tarpon. Curacao I saw some rays and nurse sharks.

Cheers.

-J.-

For Mantas try Tobago. For guaranteed sharks try Nassau, diving with Stuart Cove's as they do a shark feed. Or UNEXSO on Grand Bahama.

hay guys thanks alot!!
now i'm a bit confused. should i reconsidre .this trip is realy expansive for me and i would realy do some great dives. are the dives realy great???
thanks
yossi

They have some black tip sharks that have been hanging out at Klien Bonaire, and we we saw a nurse shark out there a few weeks ago as well. But like mentioned above, besides tarpon, grouper, turtles, and the occasional spotted eagle ray, most of the fish are smaller.

Hi:

Bonaire is a great place to dive. When I was there earlier this month, I happened upon one tarpon on a reef at around 75 feet or so, but when we dived the Hilma Hooker wreck later we found a few tarpon & (on the bottom below one end) a large green moray eel.

The parrot fish get pretty large. We saw some small barracuda but not really large ones.

My buddy spotted a pod of dolphin in the distance (at the surface).

What I'm saying is, you can have a great time diving Bonaire, but you're probably not going to get close encounters with mantas, whale sharks, that sort of thing.

A sampling of things I saw over 10 dives: 1 big green moray, a couple of (likely spotted) morays, 1 'some other kind' of moray, a few tarpon, a couple of scrawled file fish, a white spotted filefish, an orange spotted filefish, a couple of queen angel fish, a couple of French angel fish, 1 or 2 porcupine puffer fish, a couple of scorpion fish, some (?horse-eyed) jacks, many parrot fish of varied kinds, several small barracuda, 2 juvenile green sea turtles, a big octopus in a hole, cow fish, smooth trunkfish, surgeonfish, more French grunts & yellow-striped goat fish than you could shake a stick at, some yellow snapper, a flounder, yellow-tailed damselfish, rock beauties, sergeant majors, trumpetfish, blue-striped grunts...

And a bunch of other stuff. But those are some of the memorable highlights.

Richard.

We didn't see any big fish on Bonaire but I don't think anyone could possibly be disappointed diving there.

Bonaire is not the "big fish" locale.

It is a great dive destination

Bonaire is certainly one of the best dive destinations in the Carribean and many people especially like it because of the shore diving. But it's a place to see coral and small critters, not big animals and dramatic sights.

Many people in the US go to the Carribean to dive because it is closer for them than the Pacific islands, Indian Ocean, etc. Being in the Middle East I'd think you could get shorter and cheaper flights to better diving. Maldives, Indonesia, etc. Places many people from the US would go to more if they were closer. I recently came back from the Maldives which by far beat anything I've done in the Caribbean. That is only like a 3-4 hour flight from Dubai. But to get to Dubai was like 16 hours + layovers for me.

Back
Top Bottom